Discuss Isolator required when replacing extract fan feed?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need to replace the feed for an extract fan from the bathroom light and need to know if I'm required to install a fan Isolator switch, as currently there isn't one or if I can just replace the cable?

It is a timer fan and looks to have been wired using 1.5mm flex, with the earth being used as the switched live! Not even bothered to put brown sleeving on!

ideally, replace cable to 3 pole isolator, then to fan. as pete says, RCD? and maybe a 3A fuse incorporated in the isolator.

Regarding the 3A fuse, I think you need to apply common sense. Looked at one yesterday - no fuse, really nicely fitted out ground floor cloakroom - no access to cable etc .......

Not ALL fans need 3A fuses.

In the OP's case the use of the CPC as SL should be fixed.

ideally, replace cable to 3 pole isolator, then to fan. as pete says, RCD? and maybe a 3A fuse incorporated in the isolator.
Yeah my initial thoughts was I'd have to install an isolator. Won't be that tricky to do. Just wondered whether as it is an existing installation I'd just have to replace the faulty wiring. Better to go the extra length so it's safe and there's no comeback I guess.

Regarding the 3A fuse, I think you need to apply common sense. Looked at one yesterday - no fuse, really nicely fitted out ground floor cloakroom - no access to cable etc .......

Not ALL fans need 3A fuses.

In the OP's case the use of the CPC as SL should be fixed.
Yeah obviously the wiring needs replacing. Will fit a 3 pole isolator to be safe.

just a thought. if the cable is faulty and all you are doing is replacing it, it comes under repair/maintenance, so you don't need to actually do anything other than replacing the faulty cable ( assuming that the rest of the circuit is safe ).

just a thought. if the cable is faulty and all you are doing is replacing it, it comes under repair/maintenance, so you don't need to actually do anything other than replacing the faulty cable ( assuming that the rest of the circuit is safe ).
That's what I was hoping to hear!
Basically I need to replace the light in the bathroom with an IP fitting as the property is being let out. In the course of starting to replace the light I found the problem. I'm not altering the installation as such, just repairing the faulty cable.

Reply to Isolator required when replacing extract fan feed?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net