Discuss Isolator switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cheers Andy that's the one I was just looking at! heard anymore about them needing to be non combustible?

Cheers Meterman, how long do you think it would take to get the DNO out, I want to go and do it today so was just going to do it myself and fit the isolator, costs next to nothing anyway!

Cheers Andy that's the one I was just looking at! heard anymore about them needing to be non combustible?

Cheers Meterman, how long do you think it would take to get the DNO out, I want to go and do it today so was just going to do it myself and fit the isolator, costs next to nothing anyway!

Pick up the the phone and ask them.

Very good point, didn't think of that as I haven't fitted one this year.

This is one of the reasons this stupid regulation annoys me.....the nearest thing I can find that would comply to the letter of the reg would either be a switch fuse or 2way CCU. £133 and all the DNO is going to install is a REC 2 switch . I would be done with it and install a REC 2 yourself and if its picked up on a scam assessment (if you chose to show them that job in the 1st place) tell them the DNO installed it.

Last edited:
AMD3 states "CU's" and not switch gear. Hope so? Fitted 2 of the above Wylex 100A Iso's since January 1st!!! Fitting another one on Friday. Nice little bit of kit, small, cheap, compact and easy to install.

421.1.201 Within domestic (household) premises, consumer units and similar switchgear assemblies shall

comply with BS EN 6 1439-3 and shall:

(i) have their enclosure manufactured from non-combustible material, or

(ii) be enclosed in a cabinet or enclosure constructed of non-combustible material and complying with Regulation

Probably should have just went ahead and done it Lee, ended up speaking to customer they are happy to do that and keep mes right as it more than likely will be a job I will show! You on the same number?

Can't believe we're still left wondering what's the correct way to go with it.

Can't believe we're still left wondering what's the correct way to go with it.

The regs to say what to use. Yes, we all know its OTT and the DNO will just fit a plastic one if they do the job.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that BS7671 doesn't apply to the DNO.

..... and supply meters are still plastic?????

as you may guess, I'm against the regs on this matter. This as all come about due to limp wristed """electricians""" not being able enough to terminate a fuse board!

This as all come about due to limp wristed """electricians""" not being able enough to terminate a fuse board!

Let's not leave out the cheap quality CU's that are out there as well....

Reply to Isolator switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net