Discuss issues with customer and cost of parking when on jobs!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Walked out of a job today, customer lives in residents only permit zone in middle of town, I make it clear in the terms and conditions they sign that they will where required provide a permit for duration of works or they cost will be added to invoice. Bath has lots of zones where some are residents only, others are residents and paid for.
Get to the property today and the woman says I cant have a visitors permit to park on her street as she can only have 100 visitors permits per year for the property from council and she would prefer to keep them for when her son is home from university as he likes to park outside as he doesn't like to park his car in an unsafe area.
So I explain that given the road is residents only between 8am-6pm without a means for people to pay to park there who dont live on the road she either gives me a permit as per the t and c's agreed before hand or the work doesn't happen. On other zones I would have added parking to the invoice. She was adamant I couldn't have a permit and wanted me to park 1/4 of a mile down the road in a different area then shift tools, equipment etc to save using one of her precious permits. i told her she was having a laugh when the road outside is empty and said no thanks then walked out and drove home.
Half hour later I get a phone call asking if i have parked yet! my response inst repeatable but she got the message that I will not be installing her kitchen down lights or cabinet lighting for her, neither will I be installing the new oven and hob.
That didn't go down to well as yesterday she had the old kitchen appliances taken away with the rubbish from the kitchen fitters. So now she has a kitchen without cooker, hob or lights!
She says I am unprofessional and have poor customer service skills and should be banned from working as this is the best bit being niceic registered ' you are a disgrace to niceic and i will be complaining to your company about you' that really made me laugh as she thinks niceic is the name of my company!? so clearly hadnt read the paperwork, I said go ahead and complain im one of the good guys you dont want to meet the cowboys out there.. being a one man outfit I am not too bothered.Ah well, you win some you loose some.

Guildford has similar issues BUT they have an "allowance" for trades peoples vehicles so they don't lose the "visitors" permits ............ this seems to work OK
Most of Bath is okay, the various zones are covered by the tradesman permit that I have. I just text my reg plate and zone to the council and i am good for the day. There are some parts of town that are sort of semi private roads. they are part of a residents association with wealthy well connected folk who decide on the communal gardens, lights etc...and its residents only and nobody else unless you have a visitors permit! which she wouldn't give me as explained above.

I absolutely agree with you for walking off the job, I won't work for anyone who won't guarantee me a permit in those circumstances and I will only take the job on if I can park near the house not a mile away (although I personally wouldn't swear at a customer assuming that's what you did).

I got a call out from a woman to go to some private flats some months back who assured me I could park behind the flats with no restrictions, when I got there it was restricted parking and get towed zone away etc. So I called her and she said said she thought it would be okay (lying cow she knew it wouldn't be). She said I could park on the yellow lines outside her flats, but I told her that you can't park on them until 6.30pm and that was hours away, but she insisted it would be fine, so I asked her to immediately transfer ÂŁ50 into my bank account and if I get a ticket that covered it and if I didn't I would deduct the ÂŁ50 from my cost. She blankly refused to pay a penny so I just drove off.

Last edited:
Yes indeed parking is a real blight at some locations I work. I have not yet come to blows with any customers over it. One time I had to re-arrange work as there was absolutely nowhere to park at 7 a.m. it was a bit embarrasing really but nothing I could do about it. I think it is a shame that the council make no provision for this. The loss of work must be high nationally.

Well done Gavin, like it mate!

Worst parking I had was for a beach bungalow nestled in sand dunes in Northumberland. I was doing some joinery work there. Car park was at the local golf course approx 1/2 a mile away. Had to lug ladders power tools materials and everything over three walks. Felt like I had done a full days graft by 9am.
Worst bit was if I forgot one simple little item which resulted in a 30 minute walk to get it. I tried to visualise the jobs from start to finish to make sure I had everything. Won't be back there any time soon!

Used to get parking issues all the time in central London. Often it was just cheaper to pay the fine.

@Gavin John Hyde it sounds like you dodged a bit of a bullet there. If customer was being that unreasonable regarding parking, then further issues with the job and payment may well have followed
I have just been talking about this to a mate and it turns out he is good friends with her ex husband who she took to the cleaners during the divorce couple years back. she had 2 kids, after a couple years together she decided she wanted out. she married well and went from literally nothing to a gilded life and changed once she had money from her ex who was a stockbroker- who co-incidentally is now a farmer after fancying a career change! . she now tries to live it up like some oligarch but by all accounts is burning through the cash a bit quick and her ex husband has taken steps to make sure she gets no more out of him. She kept the house in the divorce due to having the kids. My mate laughed his head off when I said who it was... He said she will marry again at some point for the money. she isn't daft and knows what she is doing. So i think you are right... I did dodge a bullet, shame her ex didnt

Used to get parking issues all the time in central London. Often it was just cheaper to pay the fine.
In some areas of London the fine if paid within 7 days at the discounted rate is believe it or not cheaper than paying for the days parking!! so it pays to take the risk on getting a ticket and if you do pay it within 7 days and be better off. If you dont get a ticket then its win win.

In some areas of London the fine if paid within 7 days at the discounted rate is believe it or not cheaper than paying for the days parking!! so it pays to take the risk on getting a ticket and if you do pay it within 7 days and be better off. If you dont get a ticket then its win win.
Except Islington, they're just C****.....

Reply to issues with customer and cost of parking when on jobs!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net