• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss IT engineer turned electrician in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Roscmo

-
Reaction score
Just found this site which looks like it has some helpful folks on board. I've been self employed in IT & audio systems for more years than I care to remember so I decided I needed to get out from behind the desk. Got a bundle of electrical quals now and looking to do more as I can afford them. It seems you can never run out of qualifications to collect in this industry!

Welcome to the forum mate.

Just found this site which looks like it has some helpful folks on board. I've been self employed in IT & audio systems for more years than I care to remember so I decided I needed to get out from behind the desk. Got a bundle of electrical quals now and looking to do more as I can afford them. It seems you can never run out of qualifications to collect in this industry!
I think you have made a mistake, I know several lads in the IT business and they make a mint and do not graft for a living, adice to you, stick with the IT lol

I think you have made a mistake, I know several lads in the IT business and they make a mint and do not graft for a living, adice to you, stick with the IT lol

There's more to life than money.

I got out of the software industry after 20+ years and I don't regret it. This is far more satisfying.

And, welcome to the forums @Roscmo

Welcome to another ex-IT spark,
"collecting qualifications" has become an art form in IT, but "electrickery" is getting that way (if it wasn't already) with the progression and then amendments and new releases every few years ....

It seems strange that popular opinion warrants that as people age, they should be moving OUT of the more manual jobs into more sedentary ones.
The complete opposite is in fact true. - Youngsters have the constitution to remain nearly stationary nearly all day and still stay reasonably healthy. This also applies to eye damage and repetitive strain injuries, caused by fixed focus half a metre in front of the nose and using a mouse all day.
There are real benefits to taking on a more manual job!

There's money to be made in anything if you play it right, but there's no such thing as 'easy money'. When I left school people used to say "there's money in computers"; a mate of mine did a short course in IT and got a job on an IT helpdesk for not much more than minimum wage and hated it.
Nowadays you tell people what you do and they tell you "Oooh there's good money in that, and plumbers".

Welcome to the industry. Unfortunately in our industry, qualifications are just the start of a massive mountain climb. I used to interview people that, at the time, had more qualifications than i had (no longer possible), but when it came to putting their quals into practice, they were useless. Typically, 20 year olds that had BS 2391 (Test and inspection). I had my No 1 take this kid to a finished new build and my man said " ok, take me through a T & I. He didn't know where to start! I sacked him 2 weeks later because he thought he was above making a brew. Even I brew up. Only experience will allow you to put your qualification into practise.

Welcome to the industry. Unfortunately in our industry, qualifications are just the start of a massive mountain climb. I used to interview people that, at the time, had more qualifications than i had (no longer possible), but when it came to putting their quals into practice, they were useless. Typically, 20 year olds that had BS 2391 (Test and inspection). I had my No 1 take this kid to a finished new build and my man said " ok, take me through a T & I. He didn't know where to start! I sacked him 2 weeks later because he thought he was above making a brew. Even I brew up. Only experience will allow you to put your qualification into practise.

What's the trickiest part of becoming an electrician?
What would an experienced electrician tell his or her rookie self taking their first step into the industry?

It's good to take on a new challenge but it's best to start off by asking those in the know ...

Reply to IT engineer turned electrician in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back