Discuss ive just had a fish supper in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

...my friend, nicknamed "african" for obvious reasons went back to africa and spent very little sterling pounds on an amazing house with a big garden and pool, the figure i have in my head is £8grand....
Houses in Cape Town are expensive, maybe double what you'd pay for the same house in Joburg.

A very small 2-bed 1-bath starter home is about 1 million Rand around here (about 60 thousands UK Quids), and that would in a Brookside type estate with no pool or maybe communal pool, cardboard type walls and a garden the size of a postage stamp. (Is Brookside still on the TV or am I showing my age?)

A decent 3 bed house on a biggish plot with pool would be about 3-6 million Rand upwards (180 thousand UK Quids). Saying that the suburb I live is is very expensive, you could save 25-30% by picking a cheaper suburb nearby.

Houses in Cape Town are expensive, maybe double what you'd pay for the same house in Joburg.

A very small 2-bed 1-bath starter home is about 1 million Rand around here (about 60 thousands UK Quids), and that would in a Brookside type estate with no pool or maybe communal pool, cardboard type walls and a garden the size of a postage stamp. (Is Brookside still on the TV or am I showing my age?)

A decent 3 bed house on a biggish plot with pool would be about 3-6 million Rand upwards (180 thousand UK Quids). Saying that the suburb I live is is very expensive, you could save 25-30% by picking a cheaper suburb nearby.
well he was nearing the end of his 4 year contract with the army, he was only a lance cpl. so his wages wouldnt have been all that great, even including a few tours of afghan/iraq, the house i remember being shown was a reddish colour (as if that matters LOL) with a pool and a tree in the garden, i remember it being a solitary house though, near a river

Another south african i knew always used to go on about the exchange rate and how he could get a pair of trainers in SA for the price of a happy meal and still have change, has it changed drastically in the last 15 years or so?

and brookside hasnt been on for nearly 20 years i think lol, dunno why it ended

just noticed youre in south africa, things not getting a bit sketchy there now?

although the houses my south african friends showed me and how much they paid for them does make me wonder why people here pay a quarter of a million for a 2 bed flat
Lol come down to London £250k will buy you zilch......

your work day must begin as soon as you get home from the last with the amount of travel and traffic you have to negotiate, theres only 300k people in my city, theres about 7million in yours lol
I haven't worked for 2 years, I take it easy at the moment, get up go for a swim, go for a bike ride, chill out, build a fence, did spend a year sorting out the build project though. Once you have worked for 35 years you need a rest.

Next project is the house re build then I decide whether to sell it and move to Devon/Dorset as it should be large chunk of cash in the bank.

do you build a fence every day @SWD ? you must have loads by now!
I had to deal with this sh1te for a while, and spending £15k per month with no job was a tad stressful ;o))))

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 11.01.27.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 11.01.47.jpg

Reply to ive just had a fish supper in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net