Discuss Jaguar Assessment Centre in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

michael071284

Ive applied for a maintainance electrician job at Jaguar and have been asked to attend an assessment centre. Does anyone have any idea of what they involve? It states some stuff on the website but it seems that for different jobs the assessment centre tasks vary. Has anyone attended on after applying for an electrical job and if so what all should I expect?

Cheers!!

I did one in January for Land Rover (part of Jaguar Land Rover) so will probably be same format.
Starts early (0730) first they want to see trade qualifications, indentures etc., 3 candidates failed here including a friend with 30+ years service at Goodyears!, you need all your certs, birth cert. driving licence, last payslip both photocopied (for them) and originals.
Next you do a series of tests which you can practice on the website, multiple choice against the clock to test your literacy, numeracy, reasoning and the one I found easy, electro mechanical reasoning.
Lunch break - free drinks
An interview with a trade supervisor asking you to relate situations like "how do you react if a job goes wrong", how do you work as part of a team" etc
A couple of practical tests, connect 20 different coloured wires into a terminal rail while refering to wiring diagram that is not logical!
Hope this helps
PS I got offered a job but couldn't risk the 2 years probation reviewed every 3 months as I wanted job security to pay mortgage!

I did one in January for Land Rover (part of Jaguar Land Rover) so will probably be same format.
Starts early (0730) first they want to see trade qualifications, indentures etc., 3 candidates failed here including a friend with 30+ years service at Goodyears!, you need all your certs, birth cert. driving licence, last payslip both photocopied (for them) and originals.
Next you do a series of tests which you can practice on the website, multiple choice against the clock to test your literacy, numeracy, reasoning and the one I found easy, electro mechanical reasoning.
Lunch break - free drinks
An interview with a trade supervisor asking you to relate situations like "how do you react if a job goes wrong", how do you work as part of a team" etc
A couple of practical tests, connect 20 different coloured wires into a terminal rail while refering to wiring diagram that is not logical!
Hope this helps
PS I got offered a job but couldn't risk the 2 years probation reviewed every 3 months as I wanted job security to pay mortgage!

Hi thanks for the reply!! 2 years probation is pretty harsh alright in you situation. Where the pratical tests all handy enough yea?

driving licence, last payslip both photocopied (for them) and originals.

What's to reasoning behind producing a last pay slip??

As far as i am aware, no company can demand to see your last payslip. This is a legally personal document, between you and an employer and not something that needs to be shown to a prospective employer....

If this document was insisted on, i would black out all irrelevant data/figures relating to your salary, ....that most certainly has nothing to do with them!!!

What's to reasoning behind producing a last pay slip??

As far as i am aware, no company can demand to see your last payslip. This is a legally personal document, between you and an employer and not something that needs to be shown to a prospective employer....

If this document was insisted on, i would black out all irrelevant data/figures relating to your salary, ....that most certainly has nothing to do with them!!!

In recent years a lot of companies have found they are employing illegal workers which can result in fines from HM Customs/border agency?. The company I work for did a check about 3 years ago, 6 people, some with 5+ years service "did a runner".
Prospective employers now need to see provenance to prove you can legally work in the UK, the payslip will have your NI number on, any figures you wish to remain confidential could be obscured.

In recent years a lot of companies have found they are employing illegal workers which can result in fines from HM Customs/border agency?. The company I work for did a check about 3 years ago, 6 people, some with 5+ years service "did a runner".
Prospective employers now need to see provenance to prove you can legally work in the UK, the payslip will have your NI number on, any figures you wish to remain confidential could be obscured.

If they are only checking NI numbers then surely you only have to produce your National Insurance ID card that everyone is issued with...

I'm having a little trouble understanding how your company had illegal workers on the books for 5+ years?? Who were they paying these workers NI contributions too?? ...lol!!!

If they are only checking NI numbers then surely you only have to produce your National Insurance ID card that everyone is issued with...

I'm having a little trouble understanding how your company had illegal workers on the books for 5+ years?? Who were they paying these workers NI contributions too?? ...lol!!!

My NI card was issued nearly 40 years ago, how many people can still find theirs? :D

As for the illegal workers, the company employs quite a few agency workers and if they are suitable are offered permanent contracts. The company wrongly assumed the agency had done background checks on the workers. We found some on forged paperwork and one using his brothers paperwork!, it was a shame as 3 of the "runners" were damned hard workers.

My NI card was issued nearly 40 years ago, how many people can still find theirs? :D

As for the illegal workers, the company employs quite a few agency workers and if they are suitable are offered permanent contracts. The company wrongly assumed the agency had done background checks on the workers. We found some on forged paperwork and one using his brothers paperwork!, it was a shame as 3 of the "runners" were damned hard workers.

Well i still have mine, it gets transferred from old briefcase or wallet to the new one. But i do see your point. Is it difficult to obtain replacement ID cards??

Still can't see how these 3 workers slipped through the system, even the one using his brothers paperwork. The NI numbers are unique to an individual, and would i imagine show up like a beacon if fake, or the same number is being used twice from 2 different full time employers. I suppose really i don't know how the system works these day's, probably all changed beyond recognition since the last time i worked in the UK... lol!!!

I've got an interview with Jaguar on friday, was wondering if anybody could tell me what to expect during the interview itself? Was wondering what kind of questions they will ask etc... I know i have to retake my ability tests and show them my certificates.

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted a few of the questions you can expect, they are mainly to find out how you react in various circumstances.
As a footnote, they have reduced the probation period to 12 months and increased the pay, I started at Solihull 3 weeks ago! :D

Reply to Jaguar Assessment Centre in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net