Discuss Jaguar XK in cabin electrical whining noise in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jag1

-
Reaction score
Hi all

I hear a whining noise in cabin, AC off, audio off
It is relatively low volume and the noise pitch follows exactly the motor revs
Seems like an induced noise...
Any idea what to look for ?

Thanks

Hi all

I hear a whining noise in cabin, AC off, audio off
It is relatively low volume and the noise pitch follows exactly the motor revs
Seems like an induced noise...
Any idea what to look for ?

Thanks
Anyone in your locale missing a Cat?

Audio gear .. thru speakers ? Amp still active ?
( if electrical load dependent - add heated screens /lights to see if it changes- alternator interference)
... not an XK expert ... so could be power steering pump for all I know.
(any toothed belts changed recently ?)

Audio...there is only head unit, no amp, so I shut off the audio main switch
I may disconnect the speakers wires just to make sure it's not there

Not sure I understand what you mean by ad heated screens

How can I check if power steering may be the cause?

No belts change lately, however, I own the car for a few months...

Thanks a lot

Ad heated screens = Turn on a few (quiet -High drain loads)
no fans , heated seats , windows ... sorry should have been add +
(if any belts were over tight - may whine .. transmit more noise into body of car ) .. a lot of these noises may be normal , need to compare with someone else .
( My whining noise was a jammed viscous fan - sounded like a super charger .. but pedestrians did notice me )

Last edited:
N o he has Westward 10 in the passengers seat, should have added that's in fun no offence intended Westy
Sorry Mate, but you must realise many of us aren't Motor Mechanics, as much as we appreciate your patrimony, maybe a Vehicle electrical forum would be more able to advise you on strange noises emanating from your MV.

Sorry Mate, but you must realise many of us aren't Motor Mechanics, as much as we appreciate your patrimony, maybe a Vehicle electrical forum would be more able to advise you on strange noises emanating from your MV.

What... a bit like the auto electrical forum we have here that this thread is posted in?

No change in sound intensity , with electrical loads on off...
Its not interference from alternator .
... are there any items that don't work (though its unlikely to be a motor stuck running )
I've no more ideas than listen carefully to where -sound comes from .
--Usually something expensive and mechanical -- Unless it was coming thru speakers !
(Some motors with EFI get a bit noisy near fuel tank -when nearly empty )

How many miles does it have on it , and is it manual transmission?
You hinted you have ruled out drive belts?
Is there a service history of repairs with it?
Does it also have a slight knock on it?

Reply to Jaguar XK in cabin electrical whining noise in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net