Discuss Jar of? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Are the jars meant to be there ? or have they been put there when the box got repurposed as a shelf ?

I worked at a customer's house recently where the servant bell system is still functioning. The 3 year old lad likes to push the front room bell and send mummy to the front door for giggles.

I worked at a customer's house recently where the servant bell system is still functioning. The 3 year old lad likes to push the front room bell and send mummy to the front door for giggles.
It was fascinating to see the old wire system wish Id taken some pictures prior to the battery's, yards of wire on pulleys under floors walls etc.

It was fascinating to see the old wire system wish Id taken some pictures prior to the battery's, yards of wire on pulleys under floors walls etc.

I had this in an old hall. The workmanship was superb.
The right angle turns with brass pulleys was a work of art, the ledger type of lead weights on the linear runs kept the tension.

I had photos , but sadly , they were deleted.

That's a battery of wet Leclanché cells. Although filled with liquid they were the forerunner of ordinary cheap zinc-carbon dry cells that are still on the market, i.e. not rechargeable. The cell had to be made up with the porous pot filled with manganese dioxide and charcoal around the carbon rod, which was then stood inside the jar filled with ammonium chloride, and the zinc rod in the little notch in the mouth of the jar. When discharged, you would chuck the contents and make up with fresh. Eventually the zinc rod would be consumed and had to be replaced too. The glass jars were more or less a standard pattern and even the racks could be bought in sizes to hold 2,4,6 cells etc.

Leyden jars were a different thing, they were an early form of high-voltage capacitor.

...Booger...that's one i knew...too slow:yawn: My eldest,when he was about 6,used to impress visitors,by knocking up a "kitchen cell",using a dozen pennies,discs of paper,foil and some salt & vinegar. He would prise a small led from a toy,and get it lit.

Some of these principles,were a startling scientific revelation,back in the day,and are now,for youngsters,just an interesting novelty...

...but they can still spark that fire of interest,and initiate a desire to know how everything works...not a bad character flaw! :flowers:

...Booger...that's one i knew...too slow:yawn: My eldest,when he was about 6,used to impress visitors,by knocking up a "kitchen cell",using a dozen pennies,discs of paper,foil and some salt & vinegar. He would prise a small led from a toy,and get it lit.

Some of these principles,were a startling scientific revelation,back in the day,and are now,for youngsters,just an interesting novelty...

...but they can still spark that fire of interest,and initiate a desire to know how everything works...not a bad character flaw! :flowers:

Get them interested young and who knows what they can achieve in later years. Goods stuff :lightbulb::):rockon2:

Okay I will own up, that nokia 6300 is mine, never had the fancy new phone's, does me. Mrs 7029 took that pic, caught me in it.

Okay I will own up, that nokia 6300 is mine, never had the fancy new phone's, does me. Mrs 7029 took that pic, caught me in it.

That's the funny thing with women (or more like one of many funny things with them) they never seem to take a photo of what they're supposed to.

I can never understand how it is that Tidyboiler who's a crackshot with a rifle is such a rotten shot with a camera. :o_O:

Reply to Jar of? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock