JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) JIB and back pay?

Discuss JIB and back pay? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice. I work cards in for a JIB registered company and I'm currently being paid as an approved electrician but on the 2008 rate. The company MD has given the current economic climate as a reason why my wages have not gone up with the annual JIB rise. My colleagues are all in the same position. I was just wondering if the time comes where we are brought inline with the current wage rates/ or I wish to make a complaint could I claim the last few years back pay? At present we are basically told were lucky to have a job and not to rock the boat,and I understand that, but the cost of living certainly hasn't stopped going up and this extra money I should be earning is becoming more and more of an issue for me.

Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice. I work cards in for a JIB registered company and I'm currently being paid as an approved electrician but on the 2008 rate. The company MD has given the current economic climate as a reason why my wages have not gone up with the annual JIB rise. My colleagues are all in the same position. I was just wondering if the time comes where we are brought inline with the current wage rates/ or I wish to make a complaint could I claim the last few years back pay? At present we are basically told were lucky to have a job and not to rock the boat,and I understand that, but the cost of living certainly hasn't stopped going up and this extra money I should be earning is becoming more and more of an issue for me.

Difficult one really, only you know all that happens here. I've worked for JIB companies paying less than the current rate, BUT this was negated because we got better rates for overtime - double time Sat & Sun, time and a half after x amount of hours, etc.

Only you can decide if it's worth discussing with your employer, and indeed if said discussion will end in tears?

Hope this helps

Billy

The thing that bugs me is our company is part of a bigger group, that try to offer a whole package, mechanical, electrical, are two that roll of the tongue but our MD seems to want to be a jack of all trades master of none. He has argued that if he gave us a wage rise, and im talking about around about 8 sparks, he would have to give rises across the group. Now the majority of the group have no association with the JIB so why they need a rise is anybody's guess, and as were told not to discuss wages with colleagues how would they ever find out? Secondly as mentioned our MD is a bit of a jack of all trades and is regularly buying into small company's , just as he did us, to expand his empire. How can he bang on about the current economy being a reason to not give a wage rise and them take an another company with all of its overheads.

As said, it's your choice, I wouldn't want to sway you either way.

I would however, not discuss a thing with him until you forget what he does with his company, it's frankly none of your business. You'll be down the road in no time if you argue that you deserve a pay rise because he has enough money to lose.

You need to think of this as selling yourselves, are you worth the pay rise, or could he pump the lot of you and get able replacements? (this is not intended as an insult, just a reality check). Is there anything you do that a replacement couldn't?

Regards

Billy

Reply to JIB and back pay? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net