JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) jib card

Discuss jib card in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

in got a clue

im looking for abit of help im working for a company who likes to think there a jib company but there not lol.... iv got a jib card and its for a Labourer and thats all i can be graded at and ye i have 2330 levle 2 and 3 and i all so have peo levle 2 and some key skilles and about 5 years under my belt so are thay right or am it getting the wool pulled over my eyes any help would be well good thanks all

I've just sent of for a JIB grading and I must say that on the couple of occassions that I have phoned them up the people you talk to are totally useless. Obviously you are not allowed to speak to the assessors. The response I've got is "fill the form in, and the assessor will look at it". I would imagine that most people could be well cheesed off if they get improvers grade or labourer for the £55 they pay (With H&S Test). Surely there should be a means of allowing the information that assessors have on equivalent qualifications and the amount and type of experience people require to be available for all of us to see.
Any way good luck.

I don't thinkm JIB is as credible as it used to be.
I applied recently with all of my certs and experience included. I was applying for the QS card as it has been requested by a client.

They graded me as an improver as I didn't do the NVQ level 3

I had the rest, 2391, 2400 plus 6 years working as a QS with references.

When i received it just lauged and ----ed it away. They sent me a review email asking if I was satisfied with my grading. I simply said no and put my full name on the email signature ( with MiET ) after my name as I am a referred member. I don't normally put the letters on my name but I was proving a point.

Anyways, they decided to reasess with no pressure from myself and all of a sudden I was graded QS and Technician.

It is all rubbish these days. Only there for companies to be assured your a spark.

I totaly agree with you mate, i was told that they don't do gradings over the phone when all i wanted was to know that if i acheived a am2 and 17th edition as well as my previouse qualifications could i achieve a temporary electricians card or do i still need someone to complete section 10 (ie a qualified electrician willing to give jib no and recomend me).
i was told i needed 2330 even though i explained i already have 2360 part 1+2 and 2391 insp+test and have years of experiance
i still dont understand the process as there are two web sites with diferent info on a temporary electrians card ecs and jib Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) card | FAQs
http://www.jib.org.uk/publications/ecs003r.pdf page 7 of jib aplication

I gave up on JIB grading just for the purposes of geting cscs and went for a h+s exam for a non-discript trade ie labourer, as long as it is CSCS and can get me on a site the JIB can shove it up their arse, if they dont recognise C+G 2360

I have got my old JIB card somewhere I have never had to use it, can someone explain to me what the point is.

What are the benefits of becoming JIB registered?

no point atall johno, but most sitework these days require you to have a cscs card, and the minute you apply for one and put your occupation down as electrician it becomes tied in with the JIB straight away

i think the jib card is the way forward its a card that requires you to have passed the relevant exams and gain the quals now as we can see from the first post mistakes are made and i think an appeals procedure needs to be put in place. but you only get graded as an approved spark after doing the nvq3 which although a ball ache proves you have been on a site and done the job to a certain standard. do we think cowboys bother with the jib...maybe but i doubt it
just my view....

most sites i work on request JIB cards, and you cant get on the "blue book" jobs during construction phase without it. That is oil refineries, chemical plants, power stations, some of the best paying jobs out there at the mo.

I beleive the jib although on paper seems a good idea it penalises someone changing career, and the older person as it is totaly based on the nvq3 system which means that the person trying to obtain an electricians card has to be undergoing an aprentiship scheme preferable a JIB aprentiship these are rare enough to the younger person leaving school.
I believe you can obtain an nvq3 if your working for a company long enough, here the catch 22 problem occurs where you cannot get a job as an electrician because you haven't got your Jib card to get a job/ electricians mate jobs never last long enough as are usualy only obtained through agencies and also there is no information how long this nvq3 is supposed to take.my local college told me 3 years?!!

I gave up on JIB grading just for the purposes of geting cscs and went for a h+s exam for a non-discript trade ie labourer, as long as it is CSCS and can get me on a site the JIB can shove it up their arse, if they dont recognise C+G 2360

Yes it will get you onsite, but not allow you to work on electrics. If you are working on electrical with just a CSCS and get a snap inspection fron the HSE, then you and the safety officer could be in trouble.

The JIB card is a brilliant idea, its just the JIB applying process is pants at the minute. I'm just waiting to hear back off them regarding my card. Then need more of the fast track centre's across the country, if they had one in the north west where ytou could go down with your qual's walk in explain whats what and walk away with your card it would be alot easier than faffing about with the application etc.

I cant get an electricians card as no nvq3 and no job at mo, I was wondering if i do a domestic rewire at mothers and test, get it graded,and join afiliated bodies would I be ale to work on domestic properties and then surely jib wouldn't need nvq3 as my work has already been checked by other bodies.
has anyone done this?
I suppose i would need to set up my own company and be supervisor for the test and borrow a lot of money?

Eventually got a reply the same as widdler. I then went to a manager in my company and he wrote me a letter. Got a technician status with installation, maintenance, distributions electrician. Also Building Controls and and emergency and security systems. Get management to vouch for yoou and your away.

Regards

S Brown

Reply to jib card in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net