Discuss JIB ECS Card in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I know this has been a hot topic over the years...so sorry if this has been covered... I have a NVQ 2, City & Guilds 2330 level 2 & 3, 16th Edition upgraded to 17th Edition, 2391 inspection & testing and I've been a Qualified Supervisor for an NICEIC approved contractors for several years... I can't be graded as an 'Approved Electrician' I don't have an NVQ 3, I can't be graded as an 'Electrician' I don't have an NVQ 3, I can't be graded as an 'Electrical Improver' I'm not on a JIB training scheme so all I can apply for is a Trainee Card...really? Some of the larger contractors now won't allow me to work alone on site...the shame!

I would give them a call and ask to discuss this with someone. I know they used to consider individual cases. With your quals and experience you should certainly be granted approved status....in my eyes anyway.

You can obtain a card with a directors signature as well proving to them from the director of your experience and ability, it will be a tough road though, you may well end up with just a sparks card and may have to take an exam to get your approved.

Thanks guys, I've just emailed JIB grading listing my qualifications and experience as well as offering my NICEIC assessor as a reference. I have several years of satisfactory NICEIC assessment reports to show as well. I've just asked them what they think I should apply for. Some of the conditional cards are only open to JIB member companies!

If its any consolation when I done my ecs test and applied for a card they put me down as trainee stage 3 electrician,because without the NVQ3 they think we are trainees.I have the same quals as yourself and also been a QS for an approved firm.I dont fancy being laughed at so I dont ever show the card to anyone.

Going slightly off topic. I understand ecs and jib are separate entities but trade together. I only have a cscs card and its nearly expired so I need an ecs. Is an ecs card (health&safety) the same as a jib (graded) card? The jib website is as clear as mud. Or are they two separate cards?

you need to do the ecs h&s exam. 30 mins., £35. then apply for jib card. you'll need to send copies of quals.

As MDJ said; I worked with a lad in his 40's in the same sort of situation (no nvq3 but no 2391 either). He was time served etc but one of the qualified supervisors just wrote a letter of recommendation saying he has proven he is competent to do the job by the years put in and standard of work done etc. The lad got a card graded Electrician but they said he had to do his NVQ3 before he needed another card.

This was pretty recent so hope it helps you out in some way

The Jib an the rest of the scams are a joke mate, they are just after more cash from you and everyone else. Your obviously competent and have the relevant experience and technical knowledge. All you can do get he NVQ Lv3. XSTraining was doing it for about £550+ vat or yia local college good luck mate

It gets worse....I'm not even a stage 3 trainee because I'm not enrolled on an NVQ3 or have AM2...so I'm hoping they email back to say stage 2 trainee....they're not that fast at replying!

Yes the JIB grading system has merit, the standard is high, even sparks can't get one lol, we should start a thread asking who has one and what grade on here, I bet it wouldn't get 10 replies lmao.

Im in the same boat! I didn't particularly need a card but thought i would get one as you never know, but was shocked to receive a 'trainee' one!! Mines expired now so I've binned it, only a matter of time before the scams require us all to have a gold card! Could mess a few people up

Suprised no one has asked, maybe its just easier to slag off the JIB but how comes you have a NVQ2?

I have a approved card, but they are funny about giving me a tech card as im lacking references which they seem quite strict on, difficult as previously i was self employed.

I did 236 part one and two alongside an nvq 2 and then am1 at the time, nothing else was given as available at the time (not sure if there was or not tbh) but it was only later in life i head about am2, most people working in the industry should have no issue getting an nvq 3 but the price tag could be an issue

Funny the application for ECS card cause I'd only want one so that I can sub-contract, and turns out I can only have one if I'm employed (needs to be signed by my employer) ??

Funny the application for ECS card cause I'd only want one so that I can sub-contract, and turns out I can only have one if I'm employed (needs to be signed by my employer) ??

i got mine signed by a company that I worked for about 8 years ago, they even put my employment dates as then too.

Reply to JIB ECS Card in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net