Discuss Jib grading in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
HI there, I know most people have heard this question so many times before but I’ve searched and there are so many different answers to this question.

I want to know what Grading I will be given once I have finished my 2356 NVQ Level 3

I put myself through college and wasn’t under a apprentice scheme,

I have a -Trainee JIB card
- ECS Card
-2330 Level 2 & 3
- 2382 17th Edition

I have always worked in the trade while at college and just wondered if I had to do the am2 or is the NVQ enough.
I’m confident I would pass the am2 but hoped I wouldn’t need it and could spend the £800 on the 2391 instead.

Thanks any help would be appreciated

When you complete your NVQ L3 you would be graded as Electrician with rest of quals you have. At the moment it looks like you would be graded as Senior Graded Electrical Trainee because of you having a level 2 and 3 2330

http://www.jib.org.uk/gdelec.htm

From what I know you do not need to do AM2 as this for apprentices but you can do just to show competence.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

He doesn't have his 2391 yet so would grade as Electrician you only become Approved Electrician once gaining 2391 and have worked as a graded electrician for at least two years

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

So as a matter of curiosity if you had a degree in electrical / electronic engineering a 2382 and 2391 but crucially no 2330 or apprenticeship would you still be a labourer in JIB?
How does that change if you have been working in the electrical industry but not under a JIB electrician?

JIB!!!!!..I have 236 pt 1 and 2, ONC, HNC, C&G 2391, 2400, 16th Ed, 17th Ed, and a whole host of other qulas but cannot get JIB card as I have never worked for JIB firm...........Never stopped me getting to Elec Eng.

So as a matter of curiosity if you had a degree in electrical / electronic engineering a 2382 and 2391 but crucially no 2330 or apprenticeship would you still be a labourer in JIB?
How does that change if you have been working in the electrical industry but not under a JIB electrician?

You can have what qualifications you like, but you need the practical to go with it. There could be people out there with the biggest most complex brain in the world, but who knows they might not be able to bend and set conduit, make off micc cable ends, make off swa ends. Ive worked with an hnc bloke and he was basically an Engineer but a panel builder, he struggled on site.

I know IQ is an engineer, but he his also a JIB Approved/Technician Electrician and still gets his Tools out and bends and sets a bit of conduit now and then lol
So unless an Engineer as his qualities they won't get a ticket. Too Right as well :D

I'm not debating the practical competence is essential. I too have worked with very "qualified" but essentially useless engineers (oh and by that I mean engineers ;-)). I'm not convinced that being practically skilled but not having a reasonable understanding of maths is a winner either but sometimes you have to wonder. I'm not saying in the remotest that a degree makes you a better electricain than an apprentice trained, or even a good electrician. I was, as I said, asking an innocent question out of curiosity I apologize and will go back to trying to help trainee electricians asking maths questions :)

You can have what qualifications you like, but you need the practical to go with it. There could be people out there with the biggest most complex brain in the world, but who knows they might not be able to bend and set conduit, make off micc cable ends, make off swa ends. Ive worked with an hnc bloke and he was basically an Engineer but a panel builder, he struggled on site.

I know IQ is an engineer, but he his also a JIB Approved/Technician Electrician and still gets his Tools out and bends and sets a bit of conduit now and then lol
So unless an Engineer as his qualities they won't get a ticket. Too Right as well :D

Too right, here's the proof:

Attachments

• Conduit.gif
    64.6 KB · Views: 58
I served my time as electrician and worked on everything from domestic to heavy industrial, worked my way up and am now elec eng....still carry tools with me and am first in there with my avo....always respect those who have started from the bottom...i meet engineers all the time who came straight from university with all the whistles and bells of qualifications but when one of them told me he had calculated a 28mm earth cable thats when you know experience always wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's todays education system for you! There are different ways from getting from a to b. I have in the past been surprised by people with degrees who have shown fantastic (engineering) ability with little real world experience and conversely people who have "done it for 20 years" and I end up doing there stuff again because 20 years ago it was right but times change. I would say judge everyone by what they do, what they say and how they say, not because they have a piece of paper but most people deserve a chance doesn't matter where they came from or where they want to go as long as they want to try, but hey that's just my view.

Reply to Jib grading in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net