Discuss JIB Joining in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone am new to this site. I am looking for some clarificatio if anyone could help.
I've been working as a domestic electrician for the past 3 years after passing my City & Guilds 2382,2392. I have 17th Edition also Part P. I applied for a JIB card after passing the ECS and they sent me a labourers card. They informed me that I need to pass a NVQ level 3 to reapply. Getting in touch with some training centres I am now told I have to pass 2365 at a price of approx £4000. But looking through it seems the same stuff as I already passed including 17th Edition. My heads spinning with it all. Why I have to pass every course in the world when I already work as a electrician I will never know. I've worked on domestic installations also commercial. Can anyone clarify why all these are required??????

Cheers everyone

Hi everyone am new to this site. I am looking for some clarificatio if anyone could help.
I've been working as a domestic electrician for the past 3 years after passing my City & Guilds 2382,2392. I have 17th Edition also Part P. I applied for a JIB card after passing the ECS and they sent me a labourers card. They informed me that I need to pass a NVQ level 3 to reapply. Getting in touch with some training centres I am now told I have to pass 2365 at a price of approx £4000. But looking through it seems the same stuff as I already passed including 17th Edition. My heads spinning with it all. Why I have to pass every course in the world when I already work as a electrician I will never know. I've worked on domestic installations also commercial. Can anyone clarify why all these are required??????

Cheers everyone

Because it proves you have had the proper technical training to become graded as an electrician under the eyes of the JIB and many other sparks in the trade.

Cheers everyone

You have not done any courses that cover the core knowledge qualifications or completed an NVQ3. You have done the 17th edition course and the basic introduction to testing course. These are add on courses at best and nothing to do with learning your trade properly.

If you want to be graded by the JIB as an electrician then you need to go through the proper courses instead of training centre add on courses, because that's the accepted level of qualification and their stipulations.

Already had the training, skills and assessments worked along many sparks all with same knowledge as me and have eaten, sleept and dreamt the BS7671. Also under NICEIC what more is required?

Already had the training, skills and assessments worked along many sparks all with same knowledge as me and have eaten, sleept and dreamt the BS7671. Also under NICEIC what more is required?

If you think that the regs exam, a building regs course and the 2392 are all you need to be qualified as an electrician then I'm sorry but the requirements of the JIB grade are your wake up call.
If you had done your core knowledge training and NVQ3 then you wouldn't even need any of those exams that you hold.

There are far more qualified and experienced guys than yourself out there that also cannot gain the grade of electrician due to lack of relevant qualifications.

If you are serious about gaining the grade then pop down your local college and have a chat about the recognised route. You will probably find it the cheaper but more thorough option.

There's an NVQ3 for experienced electricians who lack the right qualifications. I thinkt there's details on the JIB ecs card website or otherwise google XS Training.

Reply to JIB Joining in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net