• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss JIB or not JIB? That is the question. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Pete17

Dear All,

I am a recently qualified electrician working in the South West (for my sins) and I am becoming disillusioned with my present employer as I am not being pushed or challenged much. With the current economic situation, I wonder if it would be wise to start looking for another job?

If I were to look for another job, should I restrict myself to contacting only JIB registered companies? Is the JIB still worth anything these days or are they also bullied by commercial outfits like the NICEIC?

Being new to this industry, I would welcome any feedback from those of you that have been around a bit longer. I would especially like to hear from employers to learn what they think.

Anybody got any suggestions of companies that are worth contacting in the somerset/Dorset areas?

Many thanks in advance

Pete17:rolleyes4:

Don't get involved in the politics but if you want a diversified approach to your job prospects look to the HVCA...justa thought

Thanks sbrown2, I hear what you are saying. I only mention it as it gets discussed in the field. Out of interest, what is HVCA? Not a unit I have ever come across before.

The HVCA is the organisation related to the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Engineers and Technicians. They provide skills cards and CSCS grading. I would recommend the JIB but posts on this forum seem to be pointing in the direction of having multiple skills and maybe the HVCA is more aligned with this practice.

The JIB sets out The National Agreement to all JIB Qualified electricians in the united kingdom,Telling you the full rates of pay and benefits of working with a JIB company.Unfortunately recently,about 9 major JIB affilliated companies have decided to opt out of a very effective scheme that has been operating in relative harmony since 1968.Union and employers working around the table to benefit either party.For years the men have always slated the coallition between employer and the union, and i have myself.Today we find that there are about 8 greedy companies,already working outside The National Agreement,Wanting to undermine our trade.JIB all the way,But you will find getting a job, cards in with a JIB company will be very difficult.Get to your branch,Join the union,Otherwise when the mass walkouts come, you will realise that you did nothing about it.This is going across the board,Not just in the electrical industry.I do not condone the latest civil unrest but when the workers revolt,This country will be F*cked.

Reply to JIB or not JIB? That is the question. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back