Discuss Jib rates sounds too good to be true in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So i was just looking at the jib rates, and i saw this

london rate for third stage apprentice with own transport is at

£10.93

So If you work a 45 hour week the money you would get is £491.85!!! weekly!! thats £23,000 a year

then in your final year its

£11.53

45 hour week = £518

yearly = £24,904

surely this is not right and there is some catch...

you might not get 9 hours per day, but it sounds about right to me, anyway you still will never own a property in London on JIB rates

you might not get 9 hours per day, but it sounds about right to me, anyway you still will never own a property in London on JIB rates

if you wanted too. you could absolutly live on sainsburys basics and scrimp by lol. but that will still only end up in getting a studio flat in an eye sore area

£10.93

So If you work a 45 hour week the money you would get is £491.85!!! weekly!! thats £23,000 a year

£11.53

45 hour week = £518

yearly = £24,904

Think the first rate would be £25k/year?

I think the catch is you haven't mentioned tax/national insurance?

Doesn't sound far fetched too me. It's a skilled trade and most apprentices are worth it in their 3rd and 4th year.

I'm a third stage apprentice and I get paid more than the SJIB minimum. We are not SJIB registered. Depends on your company and what your boss thinks you're worth I suppose!

Last edited:

£10.93

£11.53

45 hour week = £518

yearly = £24,904

If you were with a JIB firm then you would actually get more as you get overtime rates after 37.5 hours.

I cant genuinely tell if people think these rates are good. In my opinion they are horrific! I wouldnt get out of bed for that! £25k wont get you far at all and thats before tax.

ive just qualified and im on less, if the boss doesn't increase it im going to leave, im on less than an adult third stage apprentice (day rate as well)
Get a print out of this years JIB rates and take them into work for a starting point of negotiations. Do not accept a penny less and be prepared to walk. Start off conversation friendly by asking "Are you happy with me and my standard of work and work rate"...go on from there. Assuming you are anywhere decent at your job then that line gives you a good starting point. But as I said do not be too scared to walk and get a job in the big wide world out there, I have left jobs for slightly less cash before now on a point of principal.....if you are worth the cash you should demand it.

Get a print out of this years JIB rates and take them into work for a starting point of negotiations. Do not accept a penny less and be prepared to walk. Start off conversation friendly by asking "Are you happy with me and my standard of work and work rate"...go on from there. Assuming you are anywhere decent at your job then that line gives you a good starting point. But as I said do not be too scared to walk and get a job in the big wide world out there, I have left jobs for slightly less cash before now on a point of principal.....if you are worth the cash you should demand it.
i know the game and im going to test drive a van etc on sunday, i know a couple people that are always looking for electricians including a plasterer eho is a very good mate etc.

im biding my time till i get my gold card in the post, when thats through im going to have a chat with a family friend and another firm who i did work experience with a few years ago

Reply to Jib rates sounds too good to be true in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock