Discuss JIB registered electrician in South Africa in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nick greek

Hi all

I am a UK JIB registered electrician who has just moved to Cape Town with my SA wife on a spousal visa. I am some what confused by the different answers I get concerning working here as an electrician as follows,

As a UK JIB registered electrician with relevant City & Guilds qualifications can I work as an electrician?? or do I need to sit exams like in Australia to allow me to work

Are there any electricians who can give myself some guidance and information on this confusing issue

Many Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick.

This is from a few years back and was the procedure in Cape Town but it might still be the same.

You will need to send your qualifications to South African Qualifications Authority - Home Page. They will evaluate it to the RSA equivalent. You will most likely have to sit an assessment trade test in order to establish the level of knowledge you have. Exam paper on electrical theory, ohms law etc.

There will be small installation board where you have to wire a few sockets, switches, trunking, steel tray metal conduit( aka bosal in RSA) pvc conduit, T&E, Surfix (like fp 200)

You could be put on one of the motor panels they have if you pass the first stage. This could be 3 phase forward reverse, single phase forward reverse, one of a few different types of sequence starting panels to test your knowledge of motor control circuits.

If you have to sit a trade test, then it is a 2 day affair with many different things they can test you on.

You will need to get your wireman`s license (similar to 2391). This is written at a college and most guys who take this go to night classes in order to pass it. Cant remember if it was 2 tests you had to write, but possible of my memory does not fail me. There is also a practical part if I remember. As a young college guy the exams were written at our college and I can remember the men walking out after their tests looking very confused, and always saying how difficult it was. Most guys do say it is difficult.

In order to pass that you will need the SANS 10142 (BS 7671 equiv)

However there is a trump card and that is old exam papers, of which I have quite a few, somewhere on my computer. If you want I can have a look and email them to you.

You can phone the ECA ECA(SA) - Home of the Electrical Contractor or ECB Contact Us .Last time I checked both were the same building, same people etc. in Cape Town, do not know of it the same in the rest of the country.
  1. Electrical Contractors Association (SA)

Directions
  2. [COLOR=#878787 !important]Association or organisation[/COLOR]
  3. Address: 46 Newmarket St, Foreshore, Cape Town, 8001, South Africa
    Phone:+27 21 462 2690

Where about in Cape Town are you? I am quite curious, are planning to be self employed? What sort of electrical experience do you have?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to JIB registered electrician in South Africa in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net