Discuss JIB rules - 'stand down' please help asap! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

Louk

Hi
I started for a JIB company about 3 and a half months ago. Thier office is in birmingham and i work in oxford. Now they have put me on 'stand down' which means i have to go sit in the office for 7 and a half hours doing practically nothing. Thing is I dont only have to pay the 20 odd pound fuel to get thier and back but im also loosing out on my travel expenses. so ill be down at least 40 pound a day which is 200 quid a week.... OUCH. I want to talk to the boss tomorrow and ask him why i cant just sit down the sheds at the oxford site we work at. Hes probably going to say because we have to book your time to the office because if we book your time to oxford we will have to book it to a job there and hence that job will lose money. Ill say why cant you book me to the office but have me sit at oxford rather than travel for nothing.
Ive searched the JIB handbook but cant find anything about stand down. Does any one know anything about this or had similar experiance? any words of advice would be very helpfull, thanks.

Just to add, im working as a mate and there will be 2 sparks and 2 mates left down oxford. one of the mates lives in birmingham and goes to the office every morning to be picked up by the spark hes been working with down there for the past 18 months. I suspect the spark wanted to keep the mate he is use to. Is there anything in the JIB rules that state consideration should be made to operatives work locations?
Just to say because reading this some might think im a waster and they tryin to wind me up. Thats just not the case, im employed as a mate but i do much more than a mate would, being left by myself or with another mate, even with ****e sparks some times.

just need to know where i stand by the jib rules

Are they still paying your wage whilst you sit in the office? If so, it seems work is short and at least they're paying to keep you employed. Must be hopeful of more work soon. Count yourself lucky you haven't been laid off. Hope I'm getting this correct!!

Yes they are paying me flat rate, and i totally understand your comment mate. I am gratefull i still have a job but....... I just need to know where the JIB stand on this because travelling 70 miles every day for nothing sux big time.

Search the JIB handbook / site "working as a mate" is that a new grade?????

Yes they are paying me flat rate, and i totally understand your comment mate. I am gratefull i still have a job but....... I just need to know where the JIB stand on this because travelling 70 miles every day for nothing sux big time.
well you could always travel 0 miles a day....and get 0 pay n all...
shut up whinging and get on with it....

Are they still paying your wage whilst you sit in the office? If so, it seems work is short and at least they're paying to keep you employed. Must be hopeful of more work soon. Count yourself lucky you haven't been laid off. Hope I'm getting this correct!!

At £10.04 an hour on basic 37 hour week adds up to £371 a week and with £200 traveling costs after paying tax and NI won't leave him much

ask to work on site surely an extra pair of hands would be a help (take it site alot closer)

your entiltiled to your opinion. but id ask you to be more considerate when you put it across. telling me to shut up is not very nice mate, im not sure i deserve that. all ive asked for is some adivice on what the JIB rules are for stand down. Im sure you wouldnt be happy if you found your self in this situation

I am waiting for my JIB card in the post, I am recently qualified. At the minute im employed as a mate looking to be moved up asap. I had an apprentice card but it expired because i had the 3rd year log book and am2 but never finished my apprentaship. so i came back to it and paid the JTL to finish what i had left. That doesnt matter though, right?

Why don't you just ask if you can be on 'standby from home'. They seem a fairly reasonable bunch to not have handed you a P45 anyway, seeing you have only been on for 3 months odd?

Let me get this straight. Company is based in Birmingham and you were working and living in Oxford. They paid you £40.00 per day expenses for travel to work and it cost you practically nothing. Now they want you to go to Birmingham to work were they don't have to pay travel expenses. If this is correct then I can't see a problem as they aren't breaking any rules and you will just have to take the hit for the fuel.

It's swings and roundabouts with the travel expenses. As said you haven't got it bad to be working employed by a JIB firm and they could easily finish you now. I would cut my left ball off to work for a JIB member company again!

I sent my own application off about 2/3 weeks ago.
I used to live in northampton when i started with them. I worked for them for 10 months before through an agency. They always wanted to take me on but couldnt because was unsure of future work load. So i went to work else where 2 months later one of the bosses called me up and told me to come for an interview, garenteed job. I asked to be put down oxford so i would get travel expenses, because all thier other site are in the birmingham area and because the office is also there i wouldnt get anything. ya no probs we will keep you there as long as we can i was told. so it takes me 3 hours a day travelling and i wanted that time back in my life, so i moved to oxford as im only renting. The rent i pay at oxford amounts to the fuel i was paying getting back and forth. so im no better off, only the time in my life. which is what matters to me. hopefully this wont last long.
The reason for me posting here is because i cant find anything in the JIB book or site about stand down and I was wondering if any one knew anything on where they stand on this. Since being at the company I have heard some strange things. So I want to be sure of rules before I open my mouth.

Reply to JIB rules - 'stand down' please help asap! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock