Jib

Discuss Jib in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

elektrisien

Hi, I would like to know how relevant is a JIB card today ? In College they told us, most electricians dont belong to it, its not any real advantage. Of course for London Underground jobs they insist on it, but we all know the unions control the railways. I think the JIB dont serve any purpose anymore, in the 1960's or 1970's maybe but not today.
What is your take on this ?

most jobs i go on, im asked for my JIB card by the agencies. I think it may get you a job over somebody else who hasn't got one, but other than that i dont know. The JIB itself doesnt seem to have any teeth. Mos jobs want a JIB card, but are not willing to pay the JIB rates

its a joke everyone wants a JIB card noone pays the rates and the JIB do heehaw about it Same as EICNIC if they aint making money out of it they dont wanna know

So it seems to be important then. I dont have one of those cards, and to get the gold card I will have to do my NVQ 3. I think an electrician should minimum get £20 ph. I am a Data cable engineer now, and get paid nearly the same as many electricians. All the qualifications and cards and what have you that must get ............ you can become an astronaut with less effort. And after all this effort ? You still cannot get a job, and when you do, you get get paid less than a plasterboard fixer.

The only reason I keep my JIB card now is the ECS card which most sites ask for when you do the site induction. I'm the old school as I did my apprenticeship through the JIB and have always kept up the membership, though we did fall out when I asked why my approved status had been removed from my Platinum card and still haven't got it back on.

for what it costs is it not worth having, lots of sites , agencies etc require at least a cscs or jib card so better to have the jib

In Scotland you won't get a start with an electricial contractor without one and it is the same with agencies.The only job you can get without one is a maintance job in a factory

Its handy if you do alot of building site work. Its mandatory now for everyone to pass the ECS online test before setting foot on a building site. I have mine but its needed in the commercial work i do! Again its something that can work in your favor when looking for a job.

Reply to Jib in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net