Discuss Job interview advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SafetyFirst

Hi i'm just after some advice for an interview i have coming up.

I have been for many interviews since i have been in and out of work as electrician since i completed my apprenticeship and most recently because of the recession.

The role is as an installation electrician for a local council of which i am fully qualified and experienced for. It involves installing, testing, maintaining and commisioning on projects involving domestic and commercial.

The interview will last approx 1 hour and will be of an assessment questions and answer format.

It wouldn't be a written exam, they will ask on the spot questions right or wrong?

My experience of interviews have mostly been of a informal nature, i have passed 2391 exam and 17th edition along with other difficult exams and i feel as though an exam is coming up tbh.

What sort of questions do you think would be reasonable in this situation? Can they really ask you anything say for example pick anything from a random page in the regs book etc?

Apart from the obvious ie smart appearance, act confident not over-confident, be polite and early not late etc any good advice would be well receieved, many thanks all.

Yep.STOP FLAPPING! Your over analysing.You sound as though you have the skills/qualifacations they NEED,so concentrate on giving them what they WANT.Confidence and a steady head means they will be more likely to believe any situation you encounter on the job would be tackled proffessionally.Good luck and i hope you get the position.:wink_smile:

Thanks Peg! I am in work in a steady job so in one way pressure should be off but i'm quite a timid sort of lad and hate these type of situations. Mind i've been best man before, now thats a nerve wracking task, even after a few pints!Lol. So least its not that bad!...............

It's possible it could be a written exam, probably stuff relating to the regs. Fault finding may be in it. Have a look on their website and see what projects they have on etc. Looks good if you know a bit about the company.

Good luck with it should be no bother.

Hi SF, well done on getting an interview. As well as your technical knowledge/skills, Councils will be looking for good customer care skills - the ability to get on with tenants, other Council departments etc. Sell yourself as reliable, trustworthy, having the ability to work as a member of a team or on your own, unsupervised. Listen carefully to the questions asked - if you don't understand the question, don't be afraid to ask them to repeat it. Give the best answer you can. Keep good eye contact and don't have your first question as "what's the pay/holidays" etc.

Ask about training/development opportunities were you to be successful, empahasise you strengths and don't be afraid to mention areas where you feel you need to develop.

You appear to have the right attitude based on your post, so keep the nerves at bay and I'm sure you will do fine!

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Regards

Thanks very much Polo! The background to this is that i have sent on average 5 applications for ADVERTISED vacancies each week over the last couple of months so i feel victory for at least being short listed tbh.

Now i'm in a situation like London buses......i am awaiting dates for a further 2 interviews soon.

Hopefully i'll be in a position to choose from all 3.

I'd feel a bit like Fergie on deciding who'll be chosen to start up front.......Rooney? Persie? Hernandez? Decisions decisions....I'm keeping my feet firmly on the ground however, as long as one bites i'd be happy.

i got asked this one - 'what is the most important job an electrician has'

i also got asked - 'describe installing a fire alarm from start to finish' - for this one the interviewer was looking for knowledge of method statements, risk assessments, initial design thoughts, not the physical installation.

the answer my now project manager had written down was 'the safety of myself and others comes before the job' i got it wrong lol.

good luck.

So did i! lol. Great confidence booster!! Thanks i need it. I'm glad it all worked out for yourself.

Just realised were your working, keep safe! Wales is a dodgey place!Lol.

"How do you do a Ze in a normal house" was one question that gets asked, and you can't believe how many people either don't know the answer or get it wrong.

With the qualifications that you have mate you will not have any problems, put yourself in the scenario of the question being asked.

As above H&S is a massive concern for employers.

With the qualifications that you have mate you will not have any problems, put yourself in the scenario of the question being asked.

As above H&S is a massive concern for employers.

Thanks Skyraps, though i have struggled even with the qualifications and experience i have. This is the first interview hopefully of 3 but i've waited months for this after getting no feedback in 99.9% of applications.

I did have an interview few months ago that i had hr n halfs train travel for so took half a day at work.......never even got a letter of failure! Still haven't got round to sending the bar stewards a letter YET!!

Reply to Job interview advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock