Discuss Job interview ! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

brightspark26

Hi can anyone advice me on what to wear at a interview ! Ive worked with the same company for 15 years and am quite new to the interview process these days. Is a suit to formal ? Was thinking trousers shoes and a nice shirt. Also they told me they will be asking technical question. What kind of technical questions would you expect ? (major uk facilities management company -mechanical and electrical )

Electrical and mechanical facilities management. Could vary from light bulb change to rewires etc. school contracts for 25 years. Anything and everything in the schools

What you know will be more pertinent than what you look like. Just go looking decent and have a shave! Take any qualifications you have and do a bit of research into the company in case they ask you questions about them.

I don't think it's a bad thing if you go suited and booted. First appearances can mean a lot in an interview and you may stand out a little more than others who haven't. If it was a one man band then going in your work clothes would probably mean more,but as they are a major UK firm then I think it's ok.

I'd go smart casual. You are a tradesman not a stockbroker, you want to be portraying yourself as a man who will get his hands dirty not sit behind a desk.

Shirt and tie every time! I wouldn't worry about the tech question, I don't think it will be anything too deep. They'll just want to test your knowledge a bit to make sure your not a chancer

Last interview I had they said 'ok Jimmy, we've got a couple of technical question for you now'
The questions were 'if a three phase motor is running the wrong way how would you make it run the correct way?'
And 'do you know the three phase colours?'

Don't forget you're interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you, think of the questions you want to ask about their operation ways of working etc. (not the obvious things like what's the pay and overtime!)
If most of the work is in schools do you know about any relevant "Disclosure and Barring" policies (used to be CRB checks), here is a link if you've not come across it before -
https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/overview

Good Luck :)

Last edited:
Suited and booted, oh and if you are a young person, switch your phone, I pad, tablet whatever is your bag OFF, keep your hands out of your pockets, shake the hand of the person who is interviewing you, at the start and finish of the interview, regardless of how well you thought you did. Questions I can't help you with it's been a while since I had an interview. good luck.

Also thank them for the interview as it leaves a good impression. You might not be their first choice but if that doesn't work out for them you might be the next choice and get another bite at the cherry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I went today. Was told it should last 20minutes. Lasted 2 hours. Hopefully that's a good sign !

Reply to Job interview ! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock