Discuss job interview in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Dave the spark

Evenin' all,

I've got an interview on Tuesday for a position carrying out inspection and testing within water treatment plants.

I have very little interview experience due to being with the same company from serving my time until last year, 20 years in all. I've also never worked in an industrial environment, or within water treatment plants, but it is an area I'm really interested in moving in to as I'm sick to death of working in a domestic environment.

Has anyone ever worked within water treatment plants, or similar installations? Are there any areas I could educate myself in, e.g types of glands to be used for external and corrosive influences? Anything at all that might help me?

I'll be honest, it took me a long time to try and improve myself as an electrician and my attitude wasn't always right but once I grew up a bit I've strived to better myself, and learn as much as I could to allow me to keep improving my knowledge. Getting this job would be the next step for me and it's a progression I really want to make.

Any tips for interviews and areas to look at regulation wise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Wouldn't know where to start on the technical side of things but do some homework on the organisation / company that's running the plant so that you can get up to speed on their history / corporate goals / mission statements etc. Interview boards usually have an HR person that likes all that crap along with equal opps and equality in the work place. On the other hand you might get someone that just needs to know that you can do the job and get out of bed in the morning! Good luck.

Wouldn't know where to start on the technical side of things but do some homework on the organisation / company that's running the plant so that you can get up to speed on their history / corporate goals / mission statements etc. Interview boards usually have an HR person that likes all that crap along with equal opps and equality in the work place. On the other hand you might get someone that just needs to know that you can do the job and get out of bed in the morning! Good luck.

It's an engineering firm contracted to Scottish water, I'll study their website and go in armed with a knowledge of them. They seem to promote in house training and look keen to educate and promote which is another reason it appeals to me. Thanks for the advice

Presumably you've ticked all the boxes re qualifications etc on the job description to get to the interview stage. How many treatment pants do they have?

As above, look up the company, see how long they have been established, how mant employees, have they won any awards etc. Also, what you put in your OP about improving yourself would be a good answer when they ask you why you want the jobs.

I would imagine being a water treatment plant, it will have its own regulations about what equipment can be installed, so maybe have a search online then try and see how or if they work with BS7671.

One thing I always remembered from school, was the first contact. Firm hand shake with a none sweaty hand if possible. Big smile and eye contact. Then just be yourself and answer honestly.

Good luck.

Jay

Presumably you've ticked all the boxes re qualifications etc on the job description to get to the interview stage. How many treatment pants do they have?

Yeah, the fella at the recruitment agency said that they were keen to interview me, but I get the feeling that sometimes the recruitment agency likes to exaggerate things to an over enthusiastic level!
Not sure how many plants, it's covering the central belt in Scotland.

As above, look up the company, see how long they have been established, how mant employees, have they won any awards etc. Also, what you put in your OP about improving yourself would be a good answer when they ask you why you want the jobs.

I would imagine being a water treatment plant, it will have its own regulations about what equipment can be installed, so maybe have a search online then try and see how or if they work with BS7671.

One thing I always remembered from school, was the first contact. Firm hand shake with a none sweaty hand if possible. Big smile and eye contact. Then just be yourself and answer honestly.

Good luck.

Jay

Good point regarding the regulations tying in with BS 7671.
Better point about the first impressions, nothing worse than a handshake like a wet fish!:fish:
Thanks

These installations will comply with BS7671 and as I said before it is doubtful although not impossible you will be testing the actual plant. I have tested many of these sites and it was always the ancillary buildings, some of the old Victorian ones can be quite staggering especially the subterranean reservoirs.

These installations will comply with BS7671 and as I said before it is doubtful although not impossible you will be testing the actual plant. I have tested many of these sites and it was always the ancillary buildings, some of the old Victorian ones can be quite staggering especially the subterranean reservoirs.
See, it's stuff like that which has got me so interested. Thanks again for your replies.

Know your weaknesses as well as your strengths - they often ask this question and many people aren't ready for it.

Also, at the end of the interview the interviewer(s) usually ask if there is anything YOU want to ask them - try and have a question ready, to avoide the awkward silence!

And if anyone wants to see an underground Victorian reservoir I recommend a visit to Papplewick pumping station - great place.

Daz

It's an engineering firm contracted to Scottish water, I'll study their website and go in armed with a knowledge of them. They seem to promote in house training and look keen to educate and promote which is another reason it appeals to me. Thanks for the advice

I've just started working on their sites doing the gate and barrier automation and access control, will you be all over?

Know your weaknesses as well as your strengths - they often ask this question and many people aren't ready for it.

Also, at the end of the interview the interviewer(s) usually ask if there is anything YOU want to ask them - try and have a question ready, to avoide the awkward silence!

And if anyone wants to see an underground Victorian reservoir I recommend a visit to Papplewick pumping station - great place.

Daz

I've got plenty of weaknesses, I'm just not sure I want to verbalise some of them!
I do have a few questions though.
Thanks.
I've just started working on their sites doing the gate and barrier automation and access control, will you be all over?
Central belt mate, think they try to assign teams to areas, so central belt, the east, north etc...
Good luck! Please let us all know how you get on!
Thank you kindly, I will do

I've got plenty of weaknesses, I'm just not sure I want to verbalise some of them!
I do have a few questions though.
Thanks.

Central belt mate, think they try to assign teams to areas, so central belt, the east, north etc...

Thank you kindly, I will do

I've been working on their central belt sites, Kirkcaldy, Greenock and Wishaw so far.

Reply to job interview in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock