Discuss job interview.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nick182

hey guys,

Looks like my luck might be changing. *fingers crossed* I have a job interview tomorrow and would like to hear from those who have previously been to a few job interviews to get a feel of whats expected.

Would they be the average run of the mill type questions like what are your strengths or weaknesses etc?

Have any of you ever been thrown a curve ball question in terms of what would be the expected value of such n such... or what are the fundamental principals of ....whatever?

Im a tad bit nervous as ive only been in the game for somewhat 2 years...

It would be good to hear from those of you who have been through a few interviews or even have conducted a few interviews.. im keen to read your replies..

any help would be much appreciated.

regards,
nick

hey guys,

Looks like my luck might be changing. *fingers crossed* I have a job interview tomorrow and would like to hear from those who have previously been to a few job interviews to get a feel of whats expected.

Would they be the average run of the mill type questions like what are your strengths or weaknesses etc?

Have any of you ever been thrown a curve ball question in terms of what would be the expected value of such n such... or what are the fundamental principals of ....whatever?

Im a tad bit nervous as ive only been in the game for somewhat 2 years...

It would be good to hear from those of you who have been through a few interviews or even have conducted a few interviews.. im keen to read your replies..

any help would be much appreciated.

regards,
nick

Hiya Nick,

What is the position?

Personally I would have a look over basic 'real life' formulas for working out resistance, power, current ect., just so that you can re-call them without having to think too much. Also, why do you want to work for the firm? What are you long term goals? What could you bring to the job that maybe others couldn't?

Best of luck to you!

I feel that I would be a great candidate for the position of General Electrician as I could bring a lot to the company. I regard myself as somewhat of a perfectionist. I pay attention to details and like to be sure everything is right. I take great pride in my work and I can meet deadlines in a timely manner. Im organized, enthusiastic and always approach my job in a professional manner.

My long-term goals involve growing with a company where I can continue to learn, take on additional responsibilities, and contribute as much of value as I can.

I would like to work for this company because not only is this a fine opportunity, but this company is a place where my qualifications can make a difference. I want this job because im good at it. Im good at dealing with customers, working alongside colleagues, as part of a team and independently.

thank you!

easier said then done.. its easy to write this stuff down.. come tomorrow ill be umming and arring... i probably wont even know what my name is... lol

yeah i know them fairly well.. what their about. their unique selling point etc... Thats what makes me so nervous lol.. they know what their talking about.. i dont.. my greatest weakness is my lack of experience

I felt very confident on my last interview until I looked at the control panel and my mind went blank, not as if there's much in there anyway...

Be friendly, make good eye contact with the interviewer/s and relax. Easy said now... :lol:

if they ask me how much i would like to get paid... given that ive been in the game for 2 years (inc college) and lack a bit of experience.. would £10 p/h seem to greedy..

what do u guys think..

cheers for all the help.. im nervous as hell now..

nick

might be too late but don a shirt n trousers, maybe even a tye, even though its a trade position apperence counts.
good luck, let us know how you get on.

and don't show your weak areas,
ask them the rate of pay, it there job
dress smart to
and just chill when you get there listin to what they say coz they will answer most of your questions anyway

good luck

ok guys just had the job interview.. I dressed in a shirt and tie and polished my shoes..

Instead of saying "I would like to get paid £10 p/h" I simply stated that the national rate of pay stipulates that electricians get paid between £7.15 to £16.35 so anywhere between that would be fine.. they seemed impressed with that..

They also stated that i answered every question successfully.

I felt I did really well in that job interview and i felt like i certainly raised the bar for the next person to be interviewed..

I cant thank you guys enough for all of ur support and advice

This beer is for you guys.. *glug glug glug.*

Wooo

When the rate of pay question came upin an interview I always used to make a bit of a joke of it
Interviewer-"what sort of hourly rate are you looking for?"
Me "Oh, I'd like Alan Shearer's rate please but what were you thinking of? I think we can probably agree somewhere"
Usually eased a little tension and put a little smile on the guys face

- - - Updated - - -

well on a good note for me got a call at 10am today had interveiw at 12,30, had a call at 2pm to say i got the job lol
Good man, well done:)

Reply to job interview.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net