Discuss job interview in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

robbalaar86

Hi guys

I'm going for a job tomorrow with a solar company and was wondering if anyone in that line of work could:

A. Tell me what a normal day would include

B. any tips for the interview

C. Is it a booming trade at the moment.

I have no experience in this field I've been in domestic new builds house bashing and some commercial and industrial contracts as an apprentice.

Appreciate any advice

A typical day for most firms would be to install an inverter in the loft space, run a 6mm cable down to the consumer unit. Install a meter (to record generation) and a couple of AC isolators (one at consumer unit and one at inverter). Then the DC side would include installing two DC isolators (although some firms are now omitting these - which I think is a bad idea although totally compliant with regs).
Cables are run up to the roof where I would assume others would do the roof work.

And tips for interview? Just let them know you are capable.

And is the industry booming? Very much not.

Hi mate

Really appreciate that mate I was doing a bit of research into it and it sounds a decent job.

The reason I ask about booming trade is I have a maintenance job which is ok and I don't want to find myself out of work again. Obviously I'd rather be in the industry just have to pay the bills.

Thanks for the advice mate

I would suggest doing some more research about the solar pv industry both in the uk and world. Like I would encourage anyone prior to interview.

In a nut shell it's not an industry with a solid base, government change is like the wind, internationally the Chinese have been flooding the market with cheap solar panels this in turn has driven down prices and FIT return (read up about what FIT is) artificially. Now the US and EU have imposed a tax on Chinese panels thus making the price in brightly more...the fall force of this is yet to be felt...

Many PV companies have gone bust, most of the others have had to scale down and diversify to survive, it has been the biggest roler coaster ride in business that I have every known, and I do have a few years behind me.

Politics are the problem, not the technology, but go for the interview it is good experience,

oh, and one more thing, please, please do not call everybody mate,

Sorry about the mate thing too long spent with chaps on site. Everyone calls everyone mate. That aside I do appreciate the advice. I will see what the company have to say and go from there.

Helps knowing a little bit about how trade is going as my little boy has to come first so work is a priority.

Thank you for your responses.

Reply to job interview in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net