Discuss Job Quotation.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Welshsparky

Hi all

Just gone self employed, Been asked to quote a job In a Small industrial unit ( 50ft by 48 ft)

Fuse board is in bottom right hand corner job is as follows

supply for burglar alarm at front of building ( Approx 18m Run in 20mm PVC conduit to Metal clad spur)

2 x metal clad twin socket approx 8m run from fuse board in 20mm pvc conduit With added rcd enclosure next to DB to protect sockets

2 x high level metal clad single sockets approx 10 metres and 34 metres away from DB in pvc conduit ( Same Circuit )

also in a unit next door a high level metal clad single socket in pvc 20mm conduit approx 8m from DB

Ive quoted £490 does this seem ok?

price also includes relevant tests and certification

Many thanks

Tom

Yeah i think that is a good price especially with materials i think i would have looked at it with the idea of how many days you think it would take and then add your materials on that like, but i think if you are happy with that price then thats what its about.

Im probably looking at 2 days after faffing about with the conduit. Materials came to around £210 , I added £140 day rate for each day to come up with the price. Whats your usual day rate up in brum?

well me i'm at £250 as after tax and overheads your not left with much! Businessman first in this game i'm afraid! But when i first started out i was at a similar rate to you, but having registration and insurance cost, van, tools etc you need to charge more to make it up!

The only overheads i have at the moment is the girlfriends need to shop!!, hopefully in a few years though ill have enough work to tackle overheads. Thanks for the help guys :)

Its being used for storage only ( conduit is high level and out the way) , Ah I Was told By an NIC-EIC representative while working for my old company that all socket outlets now require Rcd protection?

Its being used for storage only ( conduit is high level and out the way) , Ah I Was told By an NIC-EIC representative while working for my old company that all socket outlets now require Rcd protection?

ha thats funny, a while a go I saw some information given out by the NIC it was concerning RCD protection on sockets, it said domestic YES, Industrial NO and thats that. It depends on how its installed, its use and who is going to be using it.

I initially knew that was the case, but when the NIC came out to look at a unit id done for my old company ( Which was also being used for storage) he had a right moan at me about the sockets not being Rcd protected saying that ALL sockets must now all be Rcd preotected.... Idiot .. Lol

Aha so in what circumstances would I not need RCD protection? Places with no access from members of the public?

If the circuit is under the supervision of a skilled or instructed person for one or if it isnt for general use....its too late for me to go into it any further, im writing this with one eye shut already, how boring lol...

Just reading through this I thought (dangerous for me I know).

If I’d listened to all the recommendations from so called “experts” I’d still be wiring the first socket 40 years on.

Definition of an “expert”:
An Ex is a has been.
A spurt is a drip under pressure!

I would prefer metal containment but non the less it doesn’t require an RCD, BUT that said and done, it’s up to you. The balls in your court.

Reply to Job Quotation.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net