Discuss Job Quote in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Snapester

Just been pricing up a job to provide lighting onto a buliders yard roughly 50msq and supply from SWA ran from garden centre to yard, SWA has already been put in perviously. What are your opinions on costing?

I have priced to connect up power from the main garden centre to your yard via a single phase meter to show how much electricity is being used as requested and also provide an isolation switch at origin of supply.

I will provide an outside enclosure with 100A Main switch and supplying 2x RCBO's 16A & 10A for sockets and lighting supply this will provide power to an outdoor 240v twin socket and power to two 500w Flood lights with PIR for security and in each 3 corners of the yard provide lighting from three 150w metal halide flood lights.
Power to the lighting will be from an SWA 1.5mm armoured ran around the yard and at each point terminated into a IP rated box and then to the flood, floods attached to the trees in each corner will will be situated high for maximum coverage and will be supplied via FTP cable on small cable tray up the tree.

Materials Costs - £696.05
Labour Costs @ 2 Man - £1690.00
Total Job Cost - £2386.05

looks a bit heavy on the labour to me. 4 days?

I cant really assist too much as the prices mean nothing to me as we dont know your hourly rates etc.

Are you thinking 4 days work for 2 men? or there abouts?

Also materials + markup?

Edit by men i mean electricians...

Isn't FTP cable network cable?

How big are the trees? You're going to have to make sure the part of the tree is pretty substantial, such as the trunk. Those halide fittings will be in bits in no time otherwise.

Ha FTP good spot it is FP! As for the lights they are mounted on some LARGE trees with big trunks yes!
4 Days to connect up and lay cables and test out?
Yes 2 men for 4 days?

I originally had £1440 labour?

Well i would only say on the heavy side for labour as really I wouldnt be expecting to pay for 2 electricians on this job, more like 1 man and a mate/apprentice.

However for 2 sparks the price seems fine.

I'd be wary of attaching the floods to trees, they have a habit of growing their bark around any fittings and either dislodging them or pushing them out. In some cases the fixings can also kill the tree in that area.

I'd be very wary on using FP outdoors, especially if its going to catch the sunlight. Seen it a few times where it just doesn't survive the climate and is falling in bits within 2 years.

Thanks for the heads up on the fixing to trees, i am trying to get the customer to cement in some scaffolding poles but it all depends on cost etc! as per usual!

Yeah thats what i'm thinking as for materials do you usually mark up 10% what is the going rate on that?

Mark up what you think you can get away with/enough to cover your costs of picking them up, specing them, returning to replace faulty items etc etc

why use fp for the tree,why not use swa,will wear and look much better,and how big is the tree,are you going to just srcew the bracket in to the tree,its just damp wood after all,or make a unistrut bracket to mount your fittings on.how to you propose to access a high tree while working safely,ladders, scaffold, picker etc,that needs costing for if needed

Just my preference but I would never split my price between materials and labour. The client gets a spec and a total price, my reasoning for this is if they have an idea on how much the materials are they can go to the net and perhaps source cheaper. With the labour charge they dont see the years of works and the thousands of pounds you invested in getting to where you are now, they see a big number and go HOW MUCH!!!!!. They have no idea about any overheads that come out of that all they see is the number.
Spec........
Price £.......
End

Also, have you calculated that your lighting spec satisfies the required amount of Lumens for the specified area? (lumens per metre)

I remember working with a spark who had to certify an installation on a car lot due to a Council request? Will there be a similar issue here?

I'm sure you have it all in hand but I just thought I would mention it unless it got missed:thumbsup

Thanks for all help i have taken onboard some opinions and you have been helpful indeed, even though i have been trading for many years you can never get enough advice or learn something new! Its great to be a part of the forum.
Cheers

Reply to Job Quote in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock