Discuss Jobs in Malaysia?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

siralexbateman

I'm looking for electrical work in Malaysia, preferably Kuala Lumpur where my girlfriend is about to start work as a teacher.

Does anyone know where to look?

I can't seem to find many options for Electrical Installation. There are jobs available for multi-skilled, mechanical and also experienced Electrical Engineers but not many for your bog standard Electrical Installers. Does anyone know any big UK companies that are perhaps recruiting out there at the moment?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Alex

First question to you is, ... Do you speak Malay, or Chinese?? If not, then your on a hiding to nothing, how are you going to communicate with anyone?? Unless you can find an ongoing overseas English speaking project, or a teaching position, your pretty much on a lost cause i'm afraid!!

Even if you find such a UK company recruiting out there, they won't be recruiting electricians from the UK, you'll be far too costly for them. Installation electricians will be local hire, at rates you probably wouldn't/couldn't survive on!!

The answer is no! I don't speak a word of either. I was, I guess, hoping to find a UK based employer that was recruiting out there. I see you are located in China. Are you speaking from experience then?

You could say that!! lol!! ...I've been working overseas now longer than i can remember!! A good part of that time in South East Asia involved on multinational projects. Is your lady a Malaysian that has graduated from the UK, or English on an overseas teaching adventure??

If your set on following her, then go and give yourself 3 months to find a form of employment, but the chances are it won't be electrical work. Most of the Expats i meet in that region, including here in China are teaching English, either privately or via a private school!! They seem to be able to make a living out of it!! lol!!

Wow, thanks! Not quite the answer I was looking for but a great insight. To be perfectly honest I've not been working as a sparks for the past year. I was fed up after 2 years of stagnating at my old firm so I quit my firm and looked for a change of career. I actually started personal training and was kind of juggling the two but only taking on small private jobs on the electrical front. Not making a great deal of money on either side but I just thought I may be able to take my trade background out to Malaysia and it benefit me. Judging by my unsuccessful web searches and your quite frank, but fair,reply I may be better off doing a crash course in teaching or pursuing a role in the leisure industry before I come out? My girlfriend is English and was offered a job teaching last week. We were over the moon! Unfortunately, I made the mistake of assuming there would be UK companies recruiting overseas, particularly Malaysia. I was sure I'd seen plenty of roles advertised but on looking deeper these seem to be, as I stated before, multi-skilled or more accomplished/experienced roles than I'm qualified for!

Thanks, for your feedback any more advice will be greatly welcomed

Reply to Jobs in Malaysia?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net