Discuss Jobs that seem to go on and on! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

U

ukpablo

any ideas on how i should deal with this.

under quoted a couple of jobs lately, seem to take forever, lifting boards etc etc!
do u charge extra on top if things take longer due to unforseeble probs????
cant keep working for free me thinks??

any ideas

mght be an idea to quote for ex. £400-£500 depending on snags, unforseen faults etc. on most jobs, i do this, giving the lower figure what i think, and the higher just in case . in this example, if job goes according to plan customer is well chuffed when the final bill is £430.

If the unforeseen problems were not included in the quote then it’s an extra me thinks..:)

We always stick to the price we've quoted assuming there's no variation orders or 'extras' required by the customer. Usually if you try to add an amount on top the customer will have a hissy fit when he gets the invoice and probably drag his feet with any payment. At the end of it all we make on the swings what we loose on the roundabouts. It does leave a bitter taste when you do underquote but hopefully the next job will turn out to be a breeze so you'll make it back.

When I was domesticated, when pricing a job, I'd talk through what the work involved as far as I could giving provisos on bits that wouldn't be definite until carpets up, ceiling down etc.. If the work goes easier than expected say nothing, but as soon as a snag appears, let the client know talk them through the necessary alternatives, and suggest gently that there may be extra work (money) involved. Hope this helps.

As already said swings n roundabouts, I done a job today quoted for the day home at 2.45

I generally, stick to the quote given, but then I generally provide estimates. If someone wants a quote I add another 10 – 15 % on top of an estimate to take into account unforeseen problems.

ian

I always add extra hours to my quotes for lifting boards and if rooms arn't getting emptied before I arrive.

Any snags that crop up with testing is always stated as being extra charges.

Does your estimate/quote template have any caveats to cover the unforseen?

My rule of thumb is, if I under estimate my timings - its my hard luck, if I come across issues/problems I discuss them with the client and at that time mention additional time/money.

No 2 situations are the same, I judge each on its merits.

If you quoted, you probably won the work because you were cheaper than everone else, but everyone else may have forseen the problems and priced accordingly. You risk a bad reputation if you put up your price and your competitors will take great pleasure in spreading the word if they get wind of it. It's all part of being self-employed. You win some, you lose some. As the saying goes.. 'Sh** happens, deal with it.':)

I do a site survey first before giving a price. I then quote for the job, not estimate. I point out that it is normal for people to change their minds with kitchens and bathrooms etc, so i dont hold them to final fixing points of sockets and switches etc. I do advise that if i quote for 6 sockets they will get 6 sockets, if they want 7 it is extra. I like everyone else do hit snags and problems, but i take the hit, if i lose time so be it. What comes around goes around, i win some and lose some, but i keep busy using this tactic.

Cheers..........Howard

don't mind losing the odd hour of labour time. walked off a job last year though . job was priced for a power shower, then as 1st fix was completed ( and paid up to date, thank God) customer changed his mind and decided on an instantaneous shower. would mean 20metres 10mm , drilling 20 odd joists, he refused to pay extra as he said the quote included wiring for shower. tools on van and away.

cheers peeps...................just been havin a run of bad luck after chrimbo with about 4 jobs being a pain, running over etc! all due to stupid things like rooms left with stuff in, kids in way etc etc!
like u all say, u win some u lose some........................may even put in a day rate if i get the feeling a job is going to be a nightmare????...............will play it by ear i think.
Thanks all for the good comments though, all atken fully on board!

If that's the sort of thing that's making your jobs run on, state clearly in your quote/estimate that stipulated rooms will be clear of all incidentals (stuff lol!!) and for safety's sake clear of any young children ...lol!!!

At the very least it gives you room to charge a small amount extra, if the customer doesn't comply!!!

I agree with Marvo, best to stick with the original quote if at all possible. Customer much more likely to recomend you to someone else. The way I look at it if the job goes smoothly and I finish with a day to spare I dont refund the customer a days wages. Just swings and roundabouts really.

Had a shower circuit on monday, sweet old lady, quoted £200 thought it was about 5/6 hours work, ended up taking all day-right pig. The lady saw I was struggling, when the time came to settle up she gave me £250. I returned the extra £50, she said Im so glad you did that, that was my housekeeping money! Always good to be able to sleep at night.

If they have said the room will be cleared and it isn't, then 2 options in my mind. 1 Charge them for clearing it, half day or a full day depends on amount of stuff. 2. Tell them you'll be back wheb the room is clea.

Each job on its own merits I guess. I'd always leave wiggle room as customers are all different, some are out for all they can get, others are more "honest" (can't think of a better word)

Had a shower circuit on monday, sweet old lady, quoted £200 thought it was about 5/6 hours work, ended up taking all day-right pig. The lady saw I was struggling, when the time came to settle up she gave me £250. I returned the extra £50, she said Im so glad you did that, that was my housekeeping money! Always good to be able to sleep at night.
I like that Prideofengland. I've always seen the quotation as a firm commitment to do a certain job for a certain price and the customers acceptance of the quote is their firm commitment to pay you your price when you've done the job. I agree that you could put terms and conditions on the quote about rooms being clear etc.
The only time the system falls apart for me is if I uncover a problem which means I can't leave the installation in a safe condition for its users after my work is finished. In such a case I would stop immediately and approach the customer with suggestions for necessary remedial work and an estimate of the extra costs. If an agreement couldn't be reached and there was a large financial implication then at worst I would probable return the premises to their original condition and leave without expecting payment. Touch wood, this has never happened.

......I'd always leave wiggle room.....
With domestic work you would leave a little wiggle room. There were a couple of large commercial projects last year where we actually quoted at our cost price based on a full QS just to keep our teams busy. With larger projects there's invariably a raft of changes and variations which are all chargeable and they ended up making the job profitable (just). It's not the ideal way to work and it makes for tight margins but it's better than standing idle.

Reply to Jobs that seem to go on and on! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock