• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Joining a cable to be buried in a wall in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

And a side note about using blowtorches... make sure your insurance covers you for using them. When I took out mine, I was asked about hot tools, which included blowtorches, and whether I used them. I have a heat gun for shrinking which doesn't fit the hot tool category because it doesn't use flame.

Whereas the hot works section of my insurance does include hot air guns, the only thing it does not include is a soldering iron.

Thanks for acceptance into your forum, quite a few years into retirement now and just pottering around at home. Trying to replace some old wall lights where the connectors were embedded in the plaster and the connection was just twisted wire with a plastic cap pushed on, normal 1950s practice. I found a 2017 thread on the subject on the site and the information was invaluable. Thank you I will be using the site a lot just to keep up with current practice, but I am afraid I probably wont have much to contribute, thanks gentleman you have an excellent site here.

GO ONTO TOOLSTATION. THINK THEY ARE 32a.

Pardon... . . ?

Just for info people.

I use a Milwaukee one and it works fine - 18V
Useful to know! I had wondered how long / how hot a battery gun would work for, as already have some 18V Milwaukee stuff, to decide if worth getting one at some point. Mostly I have used a mains powered gun from RS (donkey's years old) as generally not needed on-site.

one of these with heat shrink over.
View attachment 58308
Surprising how these have now become acceptable, when I first posted about them, there where subject to all sorts of disparaging remarks, one even that the yellow lever should have been stripped green.
[automerge]1590326642[/automerge]
What size cables are you intending to crimp Mike?

The inline crimps I have for 2.5mm are impossible to squash with a hand crimper: 2.5mm² Blue Butt Connectors - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CTBUTTslashB.html the above unit makes short work of it.

Joining a cable to be buried in a wall DSC01981 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
In a scenario of cable being drilled into for example, as a last resort the cable can't be replaced, joint can't be left above wall unit etc (Wago), I've used butt connectors & heat shrink, as you've suggested. I bought some of these, but not used them yet;
View attachment 37629

They'll be some arguing against using crimp connectors on solid cables, but I've seen that disputed on another forum.

PS Lets not have any book shelf jokes :)
Big Clive on YouTube tested these recently and as I recall was not too impressed with the results. The solder does not seem to flow into the connection too well. Think they are ok for low current applications, but that’s about all.

i've experimented with some of those solder connectors. the plastic melts before the solder. IMO..... RUBBISH.

Reply to Joining a cable to be buried in a wall in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back