Discuss Joining different size cable..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Baddegg

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
As per title, went to look at kitchen rewire this evening, no probs all straight forward, as I’m about to the leave lady says while you here I keep getting shocked from this wall when I washed it down?
Turns out someone has extended old 4 mm stranded cooker circuit with 2.5 and put a double socket on the end, but they decided to just twist the cable together and use a little insulation tape and left on a 32mcb....
Anyway what is people’s preferred method of jointing two different size cables?
Going to change the mcb but also curious as to which cable type id select if filling out a certificate?
Hope that all makes sense and as always thanks to all

Sorry SC was just trying to work out how to alter my thread....should’ve said the join is in a back box that was plastered over....happy to cover with a blank as it’s not visible..

As per title, went to look at kitchen rewire this evening, no probs all straight forward, as I’m about to the leave lady says while you here I keep getting shocked from this wall when I washed it down?
Turns out someone has extended old 4 mm stranded cooker circuit with 2.5 and put a double socket on the end, but they decided to just twist the cable together and use a little insulation tape and left on a 32mcb....
Anyway what is people’s preferred method of jointing two different size cables?

Going to change the mcb but also curious as to which cable type id select if filling out a certificate?
Hope that all makes sense and as always thanks to all
Fit a switched fused spur where the cable changes sizes. Or rewire the whole circuit to a 20 Amp radial.

Thanks people, yep already in the process of Lowering the mcb, yep just one socket on the circuit...no different to a spur on a 32a ring I suppose? I see your thinking there Danny but I think I’ll downgrade anyways.....

Thanks wilko and Sc yep that’s what I’ll be going for....I was just over thinking it, if it was in the kitchen where I’m rewiring I’d just do away with it and put the socket on the new ring

The blank plate won’t be visible any more @DefyG as there is now a unit in front of it, prior to that someone had attempted to hide the joint in a back box that left the edges exposed but painted over and that was causing the shock

Reply to Joining different size cable..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net