Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers

Please visit our prime electrical forum sponsor - they have the best tools at the best prices. If you find a price better somewhere else, call them or contact them, and they may be able to beat it for you. Especially on an order of a few items.

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Joint between 16mm &1.5mm! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. rolyberkin

rolyberkin Electrician's Arms

A donut of a builder has helpfully run a piece of swa two core 16mm to a small feature fountain fitted with 1.5mm flex, suggestions on best way to join, couldn’t get the 16mm in a wago!

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    twist and tape. or source a IP rated SFCU.complete with a coffin box 60A connection block.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. shaun1

shaun1 Regular EF Member

Solder and heat shrink? Or DIN mounted terminals for each size with linking bars?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ChrisElectrical88

ChrisElectrical88 Forum Mentor

Giant adaptable box....

16mm in a 63A Connector, 10mm Between 63A Connector and 32A Connector, 6mm Between 32A Connector and 15A Connector, 2.5mm Between 15A and 5A Connector. 1.5mm Flex into the 5A Connector...

Dont forget to bootlace ferrel it into the 5A connector or it might look rough

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. shaun1

shaun1 Regular EF Member

Whats it going into at the other end? In this situation, I can't see any technical reason why just putting one or 2 strands of the 16mm into a wago and cutting the others off. You would probably still have to put heatrink over the end to insulate the rest of them. Not sure how easy it would be to justify/sign off though.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    I sincerely hope your reply was/is tongue in cheek shaun1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. shaun1

shaun1 Regular EF Member

Well not entirely no. Obviously I would never consider cutting strands off a cable if it was correctly sized and carrying somewhere near its capacity. But in this case, presumably only a 1.5mm cable is required for CCC, and one strand of a 7 strand 16mm must be more than 1.5mm CSA, so what actual reason is there not to use it in this way providing ita suitibly protected for the 1.5mm?

8. shaun1

shaun1 Regular EF Member

I think I would probably still be reluctant to actually do it, just because its so frowned upon (usually for good reason)...

9. brains-lans

brains-lans DIY

Im DIY so don't shout at me, but I've done something very similar in the past for family who had knocked down an old garage and made garden bigger so wanted to have a light where the garage was.

16mm in to a resin bullet to 6mm SWA (using the screw down and snap bolt crimps) and then fed the 6mm in to a wiska 308 with swa gland and 1.5mm flex out on a compression before for a light.

Resin joint 450mm down, wiska box on a wooden post. MCB downrated to 6a at supply.

10. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Post deleted

11. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    sounds a decent soloution with beer in the brain.let me look agian tomorrow, or the next day, or next year, whenever i run out of beer, .....(that will be the day that i go to my grave/crem/hole in the garden/ whatever SWMBO wants. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. brains-lans

brains-lans DIY

Crimps did the 16 > 6 in spec, 6 fits in SWA small gland. seemed neatest way i could think of at the time i did it. Cant remember if i wago'd it or terminal strips but 6mm > 1.5mm flex is probably Wago compliant.

13. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Wot about using a reducing pin or lug.

upload_2019-3-14_16-51-24.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rpa07

Rpa07 4000 posts - only 54195 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    Trouble was Shaun, you were thinking it and then said it out loud!
    I could lend you my tin hat but I basically never take it off!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Respected Member

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    What is wrong with a bit of 60A terminal strip in a moulded box and a crimp on the flex.
    Gland the SWA into the box and put the 16mm² in one side of the terminal block and the crimped flex in the other.

• Like Like x 1