Discuss joints in cables in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

werner starbuck

Q. Are joints in cables allowed in inaccessible places?

I have been studying this question and came up with these possible solutions.
They are as long as the joint is secured by soldrering or clamping. I don't think it is a srew termination as the cable is a joint and not terminating into a socket or any other termination point. I'm not sure if I'm right. Can anyone help?

the screw connectors point is invalid, as a lot of the resin joints come with brass connectors that have screw connections. I dont like them much, and prefer crimped connections, but they are very common, and as long as the joint is encapsulated by either a resin or dielectric gel, or even i suppose pitch, then its ok.

John, I wouldn’t use compound (pitch) for a mechanical or crimped joint, only for soldered.

Compound doesn’t set as hard as it would appear it is constantly moving around in the joint. Over the years it will get in to the connections between the conductor strands and cause a high resistance joint.

I’ve used crimped lugs in a termination but I would run a bit of solder in to the end of the lug to seal it.

In my opinion the regs are very easy to interoperate there should be no joints in the building materials. If you stick by this not only will you not go wrong but you will not have any wiring faults that are not at a switch or light or power outlet! End of: Bill G4OAX

yes your right but all those points that you have mentioed are not encased into the building materials, and you have exess to them all.

yes your right but all those points that you have mentioed are not encased into the building materials, and you have exess to them all.

But isn't that the point of this thread? Junction boxes are fine where you have access. if you don't you need something else. And you are a lucky man if you have never had to put a joint where you would rather not.

your right again!! I feed the switches so no JB's in the ceiling voild. All downlighters that I use have built in connections which can be got at by releasing the fitting.

Reply to joints in cables in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net