Discuss Junction box- 3 core & earth conundrum in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello. Fingers crossed the attached file is view-able. I've never met this arrangement before, and I'm hoping some kind soul can explain to which terminal the loose black wire should be connected.

Kind regards,
Denise

DSC02731.JPG

I'm afraid Denise you're going to need to provide substantially more information than that because on the back of that photograph I'd say none.

So, can you shed some light on what it is you're doing? Have done? etc.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. ATM, I'm not doing anything except scratching my head! The story so far is as follows: After a brief interlude of occasional delays between flipping the wall switch and the lights coming on, the ceiling lights in half my house packed up completely. Assuming that a wire had escaped from one of the terminals, I thought it would be a simple matter to reattach the escapee, and re-establish the dropped connection. Not so.

I hoped it would be obvious, by its proximity to a particular terminal, which of them the errant wire had escaped from. Sadly, I displaced the loose wire when I removed the top of the junction box.

Having never met 3 core & earth before, I am confused by the non-standard configuration, and I can't work out which terminal the wire escaped from. The idea of finding out by trial and error- attaching it to each in turn and seeing what happens- doesn't appeal, hence my plea for guidance.

Kind regards, Denise

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. ATM, I'm not doing anything except scratching my head! The story so far is as follows: After a brief interlude of occasional delays between flipping the wall switch and the lights coming on, the ceiling lights in half my house packed up completely. Assuming that a wire had escaped from one of the terminals, I thought it would be a simple matter to reattach the escapee, and re-establish the dropped connection. Not so.

I hoped it would be obvious, by its proximity to a particular terminal, which of them the errant wire had escaped from. Sadly, I displaced the loose wire when I removed the top of the junction box.

Having never met 3 core & earth before, I am confused by the non-standard configuration, and I can't work out which terminal the wire escaped from. The idea of finding out by trial and error- attaching it to each in turn and seeing what happens- doesn't appeal, hence my plea for guidance.

Kind regards, Denise

There is a screw missing... did you remove it?

Unfortunately at this time I think the only real sensible advice we can provide is to engage the services of a local electrician. I would seek recommendations from family and/or friends for someone they've used.

I'd love to see a side pic of the loose black wire, so I can see what terminals it is long enough to reach..
And as already mentioned, what happened to the missing screw?

There is a screw missing... did you remove it?

Unfortunately at this time I think the only real sensible advice we can provide is to engage the services of a local electrician. I would seek recommendations from family and/or friends for someone they've used.
I removed the screws one by one to check the underlying connections, and, arse backwards as usual, took the photo before replacing the last one.
I'd love to see a side pic of the loose black wire, so I can see what terminals it is long enough to reach..
And as already mentioned, what happened to the missing screw?
I seem to recall all the terminals are within reach of the black wire, but I'll check and report back.

Just to be clear, SparkyChick, are you saying the unattached black belongs on the same terminal as the lonely yellow? Sounds like a marriage made in heaven.

Absolutely not. I was commenting that there appears to be a black conductor currently connected to the yellow from the cable on the left in your picture. It was not an instruction to connect it thus.

Hi - you really need some test kit to work on this. So you can test it really is dead before you touch it and also to work out what's going on. The problem is that people wired these junctions differently and my educated guess could lead you to do something dangerous . Sorry.

I still can't. See this black connectto the yellow
upload_2018-11-20_9-49-34.png

You can just see the black cable curving under where the 2 earth sleevings meet. It basically is under the earths. Too much shadow to see it going into the terminal properly.
Maybe the OP will take another pic for us..

View attachment 45867

You can just see the black cable curving under where the 2 earth sleevings meet. It basically is under the earths. Too much shadow to see it going into the terminal properly.
Maybe the OP will take another pic for us..
Probably wouldn't help. The damned thing is suck right under the eaves, so can't alter the camera angle. Not to worry- I'm resigned to getting someone in with the requisite rest equipment.

Reply to Junction box- 3 core & earth conundrum in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net