• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Junction box- 3 core & earth conundrum in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I'm afraid Denise you're going to need to provide substantially more information than that because on the back of that photograph I'd say none.

So, can you shed some light on what it is you're doing? Have done? etc.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. ATM, I'm not doing anything except scratching my head! The story so far is as follows: After a brief interlude of occasional delays between flipping the wall switch and the lights coming on, the ceiling lights in half my house packed up completely. Assuming that a wire had escaped from one of the terminals, I thought it would be a simple matter to reattach the escapee, and re-establish the dropped connection. Not so.

I hoped it would be obvious, by its proximity to a particular terminal, which of them the errant wire had escaped from. Sadly, I displaced the loose wire when I removed the top of the junction box.

Having never met 3 core & earth before, I am confused by the non-standard configuration, and I can't work out which terminal the wire escaped from. The idea of finding out by trial and error- attaching it to each in turn and seeing what happens- doesn't appeal, hence my plea for guidance.

Kind regards, Denise

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. ATM, I'm not doing anything except scratching my head! The story so far is as follows: After a brief interlude of occasional delays between flipping the wall switch and the lights coming on, the ceiling lights in half my house packed up completely. Assuming that a wire had escaped from one of the terminals, I thought it would be a simple matter to reattach the escapee, and re-establish the dropped connection. Not so.

I hoped it would be obvious, by its proximity to a particular terminal, which of them the errant wire had escaped from. Sadly, I displaced the loose wire when I removed the top of the junction box.

Having never met 3 core & earth before, I am confused by the non-standard configuration, and I can't work out which terminal the wire escaped from. The idea of finding out by trial and error- attaching it to each in turn and seeing what happens- doesn't appeal, hence my plea for guidance.

Kind regards, Denise

There is a screw missing... did you remove it?

Unfortunately at this time I think the only real sensible advice we can provide is to engage the services of a local electrician. I would seek recommendations from family and/or friends for someone they've used.

I'd love to see a side pic of the loose black wire, so I can see what terminals it is long enough to reach..
And as already mentioned, what happened to the missing screw?

There is a screw missing... did you remove it?

Unfortunately at this time I think the only real sensible advice we can provide is to engage the services of a local electrician. I would seek recommendations from family and/or friends for someone they've used.
I removed the screws one by one to check the underlying connections, and, arse backwards as usual, took the photo before replacing the last one.
I'd love to see a side pic of the loose black wire, so I can see what terminals it is long enough to reach..
And as already mentioned, what happened to the missing screw?
I seem to recall all the terminals are within reach of the black wire, but I'll check and report back.

Just to be clear, SparkyChick, are you saying the unattached black belongs on the same terminal as the lonely yellow? Sounds like a marriage made in heaven.

Absolutely not. I was commenting that there appears to be a black conductor currently connected to the yellow from the cable on the left in your picture. It was not an instruction to connect it thus.

Hi - you really need some test kit to work on this. So you can test it really is dead before you touch it and also to work out what's going on. The problem is that people wired these junctions differently and my educated guess could lead you to do something dangerous . Sorry.

I still can't. See this black connectto the yellow
Junction box- 3 core & earth conundrum upload_2018-11-20_9-49-34 - EletriciansForums.net

You can just see the black cable curving under where the 2 earth sleevings meet. It basically is under the earths. Too much shadow to see it going into the terminal properly.
Maybe the OP will take another pic for us..

View attachment 45867

You can just see the black cable curving under where the 2 earth sleevings meet. It basically is under the earths. Too much shadow to see it going into the terminal properly.
Maybe the OP will take another pic for us..
Probably wouldn't help. The damned thing is suck right under the eaves, so can't alter the camera angle. Not to worry- I'm resigned to getting someone in with the requisite rest equipment.

Reply to Junction box- 3 core & earth conundrum in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back