Discuss junction box help waterproof in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

h901

-
Reaction score
hi

i'm just looking for some help and ideas with a problem i'm facing when installing junction boxes for cameras

the box comes like the pic below but i have to remove the gland to fit the steel conduit as it doesn't fit through the hole (i've asked around at local wholesalers for one that fits but no one has any) but the problem is when the steel conduit goes direct to the box there is a large gap around as the hole is quite large (see second pic below), so i was wondering how i could seal the entry to prevent water entering the hole, i've used some self amalgamating tape for temporary measures.

thanks

box-1.jpg
box-2.jpeg

You probably won't be able to create a seal as you have ruined the IP integrity of a perfectly good junction box, why use metal conduit rather than cable?

You probably won't be able to create a seal as you have ruined the IP integrity of a perfectly good junction box, why use metal conduit rather than cable?

do you mean just the cable itself? as the whole run is done in steel conduit so it'd look funny if it ends up connecting to the box with just the cable, also the cable is ok 6mm so they'll also be a big gap around it

when using the flexi conduit the glands that come with it conveniently fit perfectly (adaptalok fittings)

if your cable comes in steel conduit, then fit a metal conduit box. fill with gel once connections have been made. fit gasket to lid.

if your cable comes in steel conduit, then fit a metal conduit box. fill with gel once connections have been made. fit gasket to lid.

thanks, but the junction box in the pic is needed to hold the camera up (it's a camera specific one) also what gel should I get (never knew of it until now lol)

thanks everyone for all the replies, really appreciate it. i'm going to try get a reducer and see if it fits, if not then i'll have to get some magic gel (really expensive lol)

Was thinking maybe it wasn't a conduit thread but some Chinese thread which fits nothing.

Reply to junction box help waterproof in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net