Discuss Just a socket change in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 4632

This has been touched on many times but here goes . . .

Two broken socket faces to change with

. Gas bond undersized and not near the meter
. Water bond undersized
. crabtree 3871/1, type c50 cat. M3 30A for ring final.
.No RCD protection (property wired in 60-70's)

Can I put these down as observations/recommendations on the minor works?

Or shall I push for an EICR and get told to leave?

change the socket faces, it;s a repair, not a circuit alteration. don't bother with MWC but note your concerns on invoice. get them to sign copy invoice.

if whilst changing the sockets I dead tested and no r1, rn or low IR would I carry out the repair and put these as concerns aswell? I suppose customer signature is everything really.

I would personally do a MWC just to provide a record of what you have done. Those C50 breakers are not type1.
They are either BS3871, type 2 or BS3871, type C. Crabtree continued making these until recently and you may sometimes find one manufactured to EN60898, type C. You need to check the side of each breaker to confirm, if it just states 3871/1 assume it is a BS3871, type C. Crabtree will confirm this. BS3871/1 does not mean it is a type 1, these don't exist for C50s. BS 3871/1 means they are manufactured to BS3871, Part 1.

Probably type C then. Here is a pic. Just in doubt if the end to ends wernt there or there were low IR would you note them as concerns on the mwc and still replace socket faces?image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Personally I would make some recommendations. Some of these points are c3. You can't force them to do anything about it. Just cover yourself. You have a duty of care to at least let them know. If you feel uncomfortable doing any of the work and leaving the installation as it is, just walk away from the job. Not worth it for £30. I once went out just to change a pendant and found old VR cable in very poor condition. Refused to do the work and advised it needed a rewire. Ended up winning the work. But don't be afraid to walk away from people that don't care about their own safety.

Confirm a ring is in place and zs and IR tests for a MWC. Note any other observations and strongly recommend EICR under comments. You cannot seem to pushy as many customers then feel you're forcing work on them as they have the "well it works atm" attitude, tell them you will issue ur recommendations then the legal duty of care is on them and then leave.

Reply to Just a socket change in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net