Discuss Just about to spend a fortune on a new MFT! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I bought the megger 1731, and I just don't like it. The leads are my no. 1 gripe. With the KT65 it is simple but with the megger it is a bit of a hack job fiddling with the leads. I like the fact that the KT has all the RCD results on one screen. The screen is great nice big writing on the KT good for us older folk! The simplicity of the KT against the Megger is imo much more accessible. It is quite enough to have to grapple with the testing and installation checking without grappling with the MFT in the process. So I am selling the megger and sticking to my KT.
Yeh I hate the leads with megger..

That’s interesting, I’ve had odd readings a once or twice in the two years I’ve had the megger. So it’s pretty rare, but enough to make me wary
I've found the readings can fluctuate a bit when there's higher Ze/Zs on the installation. I did have one TN-S Ze that was around the 0.52 ohms mark and the 3 lead test had it half an ohm higher, I tried it on the three lead purely out of interest to see what the difference would be.

If you buy the 1711 it doesn’t do phase to phase pscc testing so not an issue if it’s only domestic work you carry out.
I like megger as you can carry out rcd testing and ze tests using only 2 leads as opposed to juggling 3 leads which is troublesome with some accessories when carrying out zs testing with no rcd in circuit.

Is there nobody else with a fluke, I have a 1653b
Always been a Megger man but spent nine months in Jersey using a Fluke 1653b belonging to the company I was working for. It's a very good tester, although it's a pain in the --- having to press the test button on continuity/loop tests (in my opinion as Megger auto tests) - although I am aware that there is a test lead with a test button on it. Very good carry case with it though which can also be used as a stool or non-H&S compliant step-up, and it's bright yellow to aid finding it.

Also used the 1653 for another company, but far preferred the 1653b.

Ive had good experiences with kewtech KT64 for years ( 2nd one now) I use it pretty much every working day and hardly replace the 8x AA duracell batteries, estimate once or twice a year.:):)

Reply to Just about to spend a fortune on a new MFT! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net