Discuss Just gone self-employed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

As above... I had a friend who got into trouble on a business overdraft and barclays raided there personal accounts to regain some of the unsecured debt.

This i did not know - Fortunately i just moved my personal banking to Santander and have left my business account with Natwest.

So chronyx it's nearly two months on now, how it going?

Very well thanks mate, learning more new things that would be bread and butter to a lot of domestic sparks but as I came from a bigger contractor, haven't done much work on 'average' houses, just big mansions first/second fix.

Very pleased I went for it though.

hi all,

well i took the plunge last monday and handed in my notice, i only had to give a week notice so as of tomorrow i am self-employed!

I am waiting for my utr to arrive so i can join the cis. I love all these tla's. :banghead::devilish:

I have a little van, 18v makita drill/driver, megger mft, 5 tread steps, a good selection of hand tools, loads of bits and bobs, and a battery 24v sds on order.

I just need to get the following:

110v tranny
110v sds drill/chaser
cable rods

is there anything else you guys would recommend?

i would reccomend you get some work now lol

Well it's really good to hear of someone doing well for themselves. All you hear lately is how bad things are which is very worrying as I'm getting ready to make the jump myself. Well I hope it continues, good luck mate.

Just at the time when everyone else seems to be moving AWAY from that lame excuse of a bank... lol

You'll be back before long! ;)

Uh oh, thought Santander were a good option? Natwest offer zero benefits for banking with them, except of course the option for a gold account which is handy, but £8 per month for the privilege.

And this 1,2,3 account looked to me like there was more to gain on a personal banking level then there was with any other bank. Whats the bad news with santander then Si?

Santander made a mess of setting up my account and transferring all my SOs and DD. It took them a month to sort it out, but they did, and it's been fine now for the past 18 months - and it's free business banking. They even sent me a bottle of Black Grouse and a luxury food hamper as an apology.

I'd say the main decision making, when choosing a business account, is a bank you can either walk to or easily park near.

Anything else, is asking for trouble.

I paid 65 quid for my public liability insurance, that was for 2 million pound cover.

I got it from Tradesmans Insurance, I applied online. Somebody said that they were cheap (on another thread that I can't find at the moment) so I tried them and they were.

Reply to Just gone self-employed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net