• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Just had full rewire done, cables very close to surface or coming through skim in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

lucky if there is 2mm on top of the cables in other areas of the house! I suppose that is depth of a skim but cables should be deeper. going to get onto the sparky and see if he can come and cut them in a bit deeper. Thanks again for all the advice!! very useful!

Hi,it appears that your electrician has done a poor job of ensuring the cables are correctly installed.His plasterer has then come along and equalled his endeavours.
Unless B&Q do a VDE sheathing and insulating wallpaper in the style and colour required,i would ask to have it done properly.
Just my view...

I'm not being funny but have you considered getting another sparks to come and have a look at the rest of the work? That looks terrible to me, no experienced tradesman would leave that behind him, if that's an example of his chasing in what is the other stuff like? Looks like a bloody rough job to me.

I'm not being funny but have you considered getting another sparks to come and have a look at the rest of the work? That looks terrible to me, no experienced tradesman would leave that behind him, if that's an example of his chasing in what is the other stuff like? Looks like a bloody rough job to me.
Yeah we decided to get a different guy in tomorrow to come check the whole job out! There are a couple of things that don't seem right and I've got to make sure it's all safe and isn't just going to drop off the wall!

we just had a full rewire done on a 1920's property. Electrics been completed and signed off with certificate. Making good on wall chase areas done by plasterer hired by electrician. We have just come to decorating and found that in a few areas the cables haven't been chased deep enough and are covered by a very thin skim of plaster, some actually visible through plaster. Has this been a bodge job? shouldn't the cables be capped off with a metal plate or chased to a deeper level?

download_20161222_124121 — Postimage.org - https://postimg.org/image/66nq4wbr1/
Have they or would they require a conduit ?

Personally I think thats a terrible job. He has cut a chase and not used any capping? I have always been told and taught to use some sort of capping, oval preferred but but plastic flat does the job as well as its put in to protect the cable from plasterers trowel. plastic capping is peanuts and if you have chased the wall I cannot see any reason not to use it. To me that is just bad practice not to use it and from the picture the chase looks wide enough to take the capping.

Capping (metal or plastic) only protects cables from the plasterers trowel and is not a form of recognised mechanical protection. As long as the cables are in the correct zone and are RCD protected then they are electrically compliant. Not sure about the reg that mentions workmanship tho.

Had another spark in this morning. Had a good look over the work and all seems like an okay job overall, correct cabling, proper labeling etc. But just on this wall and possibly one other he didn't really chase at all and nowhere near deep enough for our liking so we are going to get that changed.
He was registered and recommended by friends but i think in the end it turned into a bigger job than expected and plasterer took a few shortcuts. In hindsight i would have liked it chased deeper with capping but it's our first place so still learning.

Capping (metal or plastic) only protects cables from the plasterers trowel and is not a form of recognised mechanical protection. As long as the cables are in the correct zone and are RCD protected then they are electrically compliant. Not sure about the reg that mentions workmanship tho.

Its one of those 'Good or Poor Practise' things dependant on standpoint. :rolleyes:

in that case you could chase to the side of the cable and remove the new plaster chase I bit deeper
one coat plaster on, job done . capping is not going to stop a drill or nails.
its their to hold the cable in place and clips.

i was taught you could run cables out of zone if mechanically protected with suitable heavy duty metal plate, how else does everyone protect meter tails and oddly placed gas bonds?

it depends where the consumer is situated .the meter tails should not be longer then 2 meters
from the meter if you have meter tails from meter external to internal then you should box in.
has for bonding depends how you run it .new build area a nightmare most consumer are put in garages
and depends on the spec.

it depends where the consumer is situated .the meter tails should not be longer then 2 meters
from the meter if you have meter tails from meter external to internal then you should box in.
has for bonding depends how you run it .new build area a nightmare most consumer are put in garages
and depends on the spec.
What's the Reg for that or is it a Part Peeeee thingy?

i was taught you could run cables out of zone if mechanically protected with suitable heavy duty metal plate, how else does everyone protect meter tails and oddly placed gas bonds?
In our new build the tails run about 8m. The run in the wall where it goes up to the ceiling void is protected by metal capping that is bonded.

As for gas bonds etc, do they need to be in a zone? I know it'll be classed as 'good practice' to do so, but they aren't a live cable so do they strictly need to be installed in a zone?

Reply to Just had full rewire done, cables very close to surface or coming through skim in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back