Discuss Just joined, would like some advice on ELI measurement in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I'm not an electrician, but I was in the electrical business most of my working life before I retired. My background is electronics with the last few years working in industrial control systems - control engineering, etc - so I hope you will make allowances for me not being fully conversant with domestic electrical installations.

My question relates to checking ELI. My property, being rural, has TT earthing and I'd like to know how measure Ze as accurately as I can using my older loop tester - Robin KMP 4116DL. All this tester has is a mains lead and an earth probe. If I plug this into a socket in my house and carry out a test I get a reading of 120 ohms - providing it's on the 2k ohms range, lower settings will trip the RCD.

It seems to me that this method is not giving me a true Ze because of the parallel earth circuits that may be in place - although our water supply pipes are plastic and we don't have gas, so that may not be the case. For a true reading surely I need to disconnect the earth connection at the input and measure the impedance around the loop through ground to the incoming phase. Is this correct and, if so, how can I do that with my loop tester?

that's about as close as you will u get, unless you cobble up some leads . if you water bonding was giving you a parallel path it would probably be a lot less that the 120 ohms.

Sounds like you don't have any extraneous conductive parts (technically the earth rod isn't one even though it fits the definition otherwise), so there won't be any other paths.
It's slightly safer not to have any, so you should be fine.
You will actually be measuring part of the circuit as well, but that will add negligible impedance on a tt system.

Hi - can I ask, what got you interested to make the measurement? Have you been having any troubles with the RCD tripping ?

No, no problems at all. It was just that I didn't like the look of the existing earth rod - which looked pretty ancient, and was in a covered area - or the 4mm cable attached to it that ran back to the CU so I drove in 2 metres of new earth rod and replaced the earth lead with a 6mm one - I think it might need to be 10mm (?) but I had almost a full reel of 6mm and no 10mm..

Another issue can be the rod is going into builder's rubble rather than nice earthy earth, if that makes any sense. The rubble is good for water drainage, but not for current flow. Although at 2m you should be through that. Could try hosing it for a bit and see?

Reply to Just joined, would like some advice on ELI measurement in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock