Discuss Just starting my apprenticeship and I need advice on workwear! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I'm just starting into my electrician apprenticeship now, I'm roughly a week in.

I've been wearing a sweatshirt and cheap topman chinos.. I had to buy boots (company paid) and I got some Dewalt Challenger 3s, they're grand but not all that comfy.. I'm guessing I have to break them in.

What work trousers should I wear?
A lot of guys are saying go with a pair of snickers, but what model?
I want the big pockets anyway.
I'm looking at flexiwork or maybe the floorlayers as they seem to be very highly regarded, what about the flexi-foorlayers? They're a bit more pricey but if they're worth the extra cash I might get them.
Also how do they fit?

Any recommendations for jackets/tops too? I'll probably need something waterproof sooner or later.
If it's high vis I can go with out a vest which'd be great.

Unrelated - A lot of the guys are pushing me towards instrumentation saying 'that's where the moneys at, and there's none of this rubbish acting', how true is that? Or is it a case of grass looking greener?

I'm wearing a snickers 1512 jacket, and a pair of 3312 trousers

I work inside so would only need a body warmer on top of this in the winter.

But it depends on your work. There's certainly cheaper options available if you don't want to spend nearly an apprentices weeks wages on work gear.

My advice for your future - look after your ears, eyes, lungs and knees - do this and you’ll have a comfortable work life and a rewarding retirement.
As Ruston said, be comfortable but don’t overspend initially, a £20 pair of trousers with knee pockets will last a few years then keep buying pairs when you can.
I wear cheap Aldi T shirts and black or grey fleeces.
You should see my washing line on was day! 14 black T-shirts’ !

My advice for your future - look after your ears, eyes, lungs and knees - do this and you’ll have a comfortable work life and a rewarding retirement.
As Ruston said, be comfortable but don’t overspend initially, a £20 pair of trousers with knee pockets will last a few years then keep buying pairs when you can.
I wear cheap Aldi T shirts and black or grey fleeces.
You should see my washing line on was day! 14 black T-shirts’ !
That is good advice and never let it slip. I am talking from experience.
Never be tempted to take the short cuts , it is just not worth it.

When was on “proper” building sites I wore Dickies overalls with built in knee pads, this meant at the end of the shift I could take them off, my clothes were clean so my car wouldn’t get dusty and the knee pads weren’t a nuisance when driving.

I have some of those for chasing but the zip went. Next pair I’ll buy the next size up. Good idea boiler suit with knee pads. Around £31 if I remember.
When was on “proper” building sites I wore Dickies overalls with built in knee pads, this meant at the end of the shift I could take them off, my clothes were clean so my car wouldn’t get dusty and the knee pads weren’t a nuisance when driving.

That is good advice and never let it slip. I am talking from experience.
Never be tempted to take the short cuts , it is just not worth it.
I see too many youngsters think that it’s uncool to take care of these things. I mention to them that the people who are watching on the day you don’t wear ear defenders when chasing walls all day, aren’t going to be around in 30 years when you’re shouting at the missus asking if she wants a cuppa!

Snickers is nice but very expensive. I've been wearing scruffs trousers for the last few years and they are actually very good, they're not quite up to the quality of snicker but the price is on point! Also get a belt, a good one cause the kneepads pull my trousers down every time I kneel down and get back up o_O

I like having a couple of smartish work wear jackets, I have a couple of semi waterproof black Stanley jackets my mum got me from a carboot sale :D. I'm working in peoples houses a lot though so I like to look presentable. First impressions can mean a lot and its makes life a lot easier if they are on your side from the get go, no one will ever complain that you are too presentable.

£9.99 work trousers from Lidl. coz. I'm a cheapskate and serious money better spent on beer. seriously though. that's a better ploy for an apprentice when money is tight. once earning proper wage, then go for the snickers/dickies/apache.

Trouble is that Aldi and Lidl trousers only start at 32” waist - too big for me I’m afraid!
Maybe I should start drinking beer and fill them out a bit!
too bloody right you skinny sod. my waist size is 38" for sloppy, 36" for squeezed in button busters.

I went through a phase of just wearing £10 Tesco jeans and hoodies to work because I didn't want to spend money on workwear.

Crotch ripped of jeans out when up in the loft every time. Hoodies were ok but the pocket wears out really fast if your putting tools and screws in there, then I start loosing stuff that falls through the hole :rolleyes:

Glad that was just a phase Bliss!
I went through a phase of just wearing £10 Tesco jeans and hoodies to work because I didn't want to spend money on workwear.

Crotch ripped of jeans out when up in the loft every time. Hoodies were ok but the pocket wears out really fast if your putting tools and screws in there, then I start loosing stuff that falls through the hole :rolleyes:

I've always gone down the path of cheaper work trousers with a good set of knee pads, never had a problem with them. But recently treated myself to the snickers flexi trousers nice and light good fit but unsure how long they will last as they're quite thin maybe a good summer trouser

I've always gone down the path of cheaper work trousers with a good set of knee pads, never had a problem with them. But recently treated myself to the snickers flexi trousers nice and light good fit but unsure how long they will last as they're quite thin maybe a good summer trouser

I always cut off the stupid flappy pockets - like a pair of spaniels ears.
I do always keep the pockets - intending to staple them to the van racking as ‘tool pockets’!
Go figure!

Reply to Just starting my apprenticeship and I need advice on workwear! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net