Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. Forum for Trainees.

If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then click HERE The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Kewtech KT63 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. jimmymac

jimmymac Electrician's Arms

Hi all, i am thinking of getting a new tester and i have been looking at the Kewtech KT63, does anybody have one or have any experience of this model? I've never even used a Kewtech before, i used megger back when i was training and at the moment i've got a fluke

p.s it will only be for domestic, single phase

thanks

2. tony mc

tony mc Electrician's Arms

Hi Jimmymac

I use a couple of meters a Megger 1552 and a Robin KTS 62 which is the same as a Kewtech KT62.

I would suggest trying to use the KT63 before you buy it. It does look like it will carry out the functions that you require but it looks like it will be a 3 wire test for Loop PFC ZE and RCD testing.

IMO try and have the use of a few meters to find out which one you will be happy with after all you will use and rely on it alot .

3. jimmymac

So which meter do you prefer out of your 2? I'm happy with the fluke that i have but i just fancy something new, Kewtech seem to be all the rage lately

4. tony mc

tony mc Electrician's Arms

I prefer the Megger as the D lock on the KTS 62 does not work and on no trip loop it trips the RCD.

Also I prefer the 2 lead test on ZE PFC etc and the 1552 is good for 3 phase.

I only use the KTS 62 as a back up meter and its good for that.

Like I say try a few and if you are happy with Fluke stick with it.

5. jimmymac

Yes but i want something new and shiney, lol. Thanks for your help

6. jimmymac

Also, i dont mind using 3 leads for PFC etc

7. MarkieSparkie

MarkieSparkie Guest

I have been posting this note of caution for a while now:
    I've had reports of Kewtech MFTs at my local college suffering seemingly random faults that all seem to related in some way to the rotary range selection switch. Their KT63, 64 and 65 MFTs have been going to and from Kewtech every couple of weeks for nearly 2 years to date, with numerous repairs and firmware upgrades, without a satisfactory solution to the problem so far.
    I am told the first signs of trouble usually starts with the difficulty to null the leads in the normal manner, but if the range switch is jiggled the leads can be nulled, until even this becomes impossible. Once this behavior starts, keep an eye on the results on other ranges as random wild readings, terminated tests and odd display behavior often occurs.

• Like Like x 2
  8. jimmymac

Good to know markie, i might have to consider other options, thanks

9. cbw

cbw Electrician's Arms

Are you selling your old Fluke?
    Which model is it?
    I have fluke 1651s and need another......

10. MarkieSparkie

MarkieSparkie Guest

Glad to be of help. I used to recommend Kewtech to apprentices looking for a first tester at a budget price, but since the unresolved issues I have been recommending the Di-log 9083P, which most find easy to use and reliable. For those with deeper pockets either the Megger MFT1552 or Fluke 1652 are excellent MFTs.

11. jimmymac

I've got the fluke 1651 and it's never let me down so i won't be selling it. I had a look at the di-log that you mentioned, it was on my 'maybe' list. I still haven't decided, i think i'm gonna wait a bit. They might bring something new out soon, only problem is they're all well over priced when they first come out

12. The Dr

The Dr Guest

The KT63 is the latest mft in the Kewtech range, only launched at the begining of the month it was on the Kewtech stand at the Elex show in Harrogate last week. its so simple to use and the add on accessories make it a pleasure to use.

13. Test-Meter

Test-Meter Sponsor

Did you have a play with it? When Kewtech first brought it to us to look at, it was incredible to believe that all of the functionality of an MFT could fit into a case so small.

For those of you old enough to remember it's similar to the size of a Sega Game Gear!!

14. GLENNSPARK

GLENNSPARK Electrician's Arms

yes Markie..and i asked em about this on the kewtech stand up at the recent elex show in harrogate....que blank expressions from the `product engineer` together with an "i dunno what you mean"...heard about this before on these MFTs though.....

15. plugsandsparks

plugsandsparks Electrician's Arms

mmmm, well mine (KT65) lasted about a year before the rotary switch started to go haywire, to their credit Kewtech repaired it, apparently dirt gets into it and alot of my work is dirty. I did suggest i put a clear plastic bag over it when using it in dirty environment but the guy said you should not need it. BTW although there was no recognition of a recurring fault, the guy managed easily to diagnose it over the phone and actually fixed the meter whilst i went for a coffee. I really like the meter TBH (apart from default on anti trip) its small and light and pretty quick and the readings i largely believe.