Discuss Kitchen Extractor Fan Wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AOIS

Please come someone confirm if the wiring of my extractor fan with plug laid on top of the unit is compliant please?

Many thanks in advance.

IMG_4363.jpg

There is much more to consider. It's very difficult to say from that picture alone because actually it's quite lacking in context... by that, is it taken from the side of the unit, the top looking down? Do any of the surfaces get hot? The cables disappear into the void at the top of the picture... what's in that void? Where does the twin and earth go? If that T+E originally supplied a socket mounted on a wall (and now that socket is no longer there), there is effectively no longer any marker for the 'safe zone' in which the cable may have been running.

I would agree with SparkyChick. The white box could do with 'fixing' and the grey cable clipped so its not resting against the metal edges of the fan. That said, some of these kitchen 'designs' make almost impossible to do just that. Perhaps some more pics giving an idea of orientation?

as above. the socket should be screwed down to a solid surface, preferably to the fabric of the building.

carp????

images

Sorry, nothing to do with this thread, but could someone tell me how to start a thread on here. I write a post and it asks me to add a participant so I add Lou (admin) which, as I am brand new to this site is the only participant I know. I am sure I am doing something wrong.
By the way the socket on the fan is very rough.

That's a cracking hijack, not even remotely related to the topic at hand.

Welcome to the forums Rob :)

First, go to the 'Forums' section at the top of the page and click 'Forums'. You should get a page with a list of the various forum sections (you won't be able to post in all of them... The Electricians Arms for example).

Click the required forum section and you should (assuming you can post) get a button at the top of the page marked 'Post New Thread'. Click that and you should be good to go.

What you're doing is starting a conversation with someone.

Hope this helps :)

If it's a DIY job then it's borderline OK - OK the socket should be fixed and the wiring clipped, but at least there is a cable gland gripping the cable.

If it's a job which has been done by a professional sparky who has been paid the going rate then it is not acceptable. And if this is indeed the case then he has blatantly decided not to do the extra work to make it 'correct' because it is hidden out of site and he assumed it would never be seen.

From what I understand (not having any knowledge whatever) the wiring all runs behind the kitchen unit. There is a switch for the extractor on a grid switch with the other appliances.

I am just a bit concerned there is a lose plug sitting on top of the extractor.

From what I understand (not having any knowledge whatever) the wiring all runs behind the kitchen unit. There is a switch for the extractor on a grid switch with the other appliances.

I am just a bit concerned there is a lose plug sitting on top of the extractor.
as you say you are concerned. that socket should be fixed.not floating like a beached whale.

Reply to Kitchen Extractor Fan Wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net