Discuss Kitchen Grid or individual switched sockets in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

newspark

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and just signing up on a domestic elec course.
Can someone tell me, when you wire a kitchen, do you have to have a switched grid for all the appliances, or can you plug them in to individual switched sockets on a ring or on a radial ? without a bank of grid switches ?
Thanks

The reason you use grid switches and fcu is for functional purposes. Using sockets for this purpose would be silly, how are you going to defrost the fridge or carry out maintenance on appliances. Plus it looks a bit amateur, just for revision eh?

If the socket is accesible to isolate the aplliance then ok. Behind an appliance is not accesible imo & agree with @LankyWill it does look profesional and easy for the customer to use. Plus if there is an earth fault on one of the appliances it is then easy to faultfind/isolate putting rest of circuit into normal use.

There's nothing stating a kitchen should be any particular circuit.
It can be wired as a separate ring, as part of a ring including other rooms, as a single radial or as multiple radials.
Grid switches can be used or not, switches can be placed above counters to control under counter equipment or not.

There's nothing stating a kitchen should be any particular circuit.
It can be wired as a separate ring, as part of a ring including other rooms, as a single radial or as multiple radials.
Grid switches can be used or not, switches can be placed above counters to control under counter equipment or not.
As an aside the Scottish Building Standards require above counter switches/isolation for equipment plugged in below.

Reply to Kitchen Grid or individual switched sockets in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net