Discuss Kitchen Installations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

stumper1961

Keep coming across same problem and every spark has different answer.Sockets and switches should be a minnium of 300mm from edge of sink or cooker what do you do when no wall space ,anyone know the CORRECT answer ?

I don't believe there is a regulation on distance. Just fit for purpose and accessible. 300mm is a guideline, which is usually achievable. I think common sense is the best way where you can't get that distance.

Correct answer is 2 fold

BS 7671-2008 there is no 300mm value for sockets being away from a sink in a kitchen. There use to be in the 16th or could even have been the 15th, time fades the memory, but it as been omitted. There is no 300mm values in either section 553 Accessories or anywhere in chapter 5

In all the Guides associated to buildings and regulations it does recommend that you try and keep that distance, but unless there is some manufacturer or design reason behind the limit, then these are guides and so open to interpretation

common sense should always prevail, except when it conflicts with the ideas of architects, planners, building inspectors, customers, builders, plumbers, kitchen fitters, wood butchers, then common sense goes out the window

I don't believe there is a regulation on distance. Just fit for purpose and accessible. 300mm is a guideline, which is usually achievable. I think common sense is the best way where you can't get that distance.
Cheers rich, their must be alot of sparks with no common sense putting sockets within 50mm of edge of cookers etc.

Correct answer is 2 fold

BS 7671-2008 there is no 300mm value for sockets being away from a sink in a kitchen. There use to be in the 16th or could even have been the 15th, time fades the memory, but it as been omitted. There is no 300mm values in either section 553 Accessories or anywhere in chapter 5

In all the Guides associated to buildings and regulations it does recommend that you try and keep that distance, but unless there is some manufacturer or design reason behind the limit, then these are guides and so open to interpretation

Hi,who interpretates its ok to put socket next to cooker? cant be safe
THANKS stumper

I have tried on may occasion to explain to builders who feel they know more about Electrics than a qualified Electrician. In some cases it is not progmatic to maintain the 300mm away from the cooker, with zink I can understand you have to keep it away as much as possible

Pls spead the words

i try to maintain a distance of 300mm between a socket and my cooker, but as she moves around the kitchen, it's not so easy.

I have tried on may occasion to explain to builders who feel they know more about Electrics than a qualified Electrician. In some cases it is not progmatic to maintain the 300mm away from the cooker, with zink I can understand you have to keep it away as much as possible

Pls spead the words

I know that type......
LOL

Hi,who interpretates its ok to put socket next to cooker? cant be safe
THANKS stumper

Next to a cooker .....................me

I would interpret that would be a safe location for the accessory providing it satisfies the regulations, and also IMO more importantly it does not give rise to damage from heat, spills or will be dangerous for anyone utilizing the socket.

Now directly above a cooker I would say no

Next to a cooker .....................me

I would interpret that would be a safe location for the accessory providing it satisfies the regulations, and also IMO more importantly it does not give rise to damage from heat, spills or will be dangerous for anyone utilizing the socket.

Now directly above a cooker I would say no
Most people using cooker would need space either side the socket would more likley be used for portable appliance were the flex could end up on cooker, you must get all your cooking done for you lol

Cheers rich, their must be alot of sparks with no common sense putting sockets within 50mm of edge of cookers etc.

Trouble comes when you do your 1st fix as per drawing then come back a week later when it is all tiled, only to find they altered the kitchen because they wanted to squeeze another 300mm unit!

200mm - 250mm from cooker won't make much difference we are not talking about sockets or any accesseries right next to cooker!

Reply to Kitchen Installations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock