Discuss kitchen lighting circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

ngoodson1969

Hi all,

If I were to have in my kitchen, 4 ceiling downlighters on one half of the ceiling, 1 pendant the other half of the ceiling and finally under-cupboard lighting, would/should they all go on separate circuits?
Bearing in mind the downlighters and the pendant need independent switching and another separate switch for the under-cupboard lighting? Thanks.

Nick

Don't quote me on this...I'm a Mate so best practice for design & Installation still working on it...

Could you switch feed the kitchen lights as an independent circuit (if necessary) & place on a 3G Plate? Each switch individual for each light point...
Just a thought...

Nick, you may have some issues with the lights being of different technologies. I.e Fluoresecent under cabinet with Low voltage downlighters and GLS type in the pendant.

The Fluoresencents could have a high in rush current, which may effect the others. Best to have a localised switch or separete arrangement. Also be careful if you electrical sign off by the local building inspector, he will under part 'L' energy and power require 25% of the lighting to be energy efficient (40 lumins per circuit watt), these could be fluorescent tubes or the new CFL downlighters Like Aurora's DLM841, check their website for more info.

Personally I like to have the undercabinets on their own switch, then when making a cuppa I don't get blinded!

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
They will be fine on their own circuit.

Drop the circuit into a single 35mm switch box and run a cable to each set of lights from there.

Building control will not be interested in energy efficient lighting in a kitchen refurb, although i would recommend L/E kitchen under cabinet lights as halogens dont last long with the cupboard doors being slammed all the time.

I want under cabinet lighting (not halogen) for two areas – each has two cabinets side by side. I want to be able to turn each light on and off with a switch on the light fixture itself. I do not want to have plug cords running to an outlet. I don’t want to see the wires or plugs. Can I hardware the fixtures by running the wire up into the cabinet and then out the back of the cabinet all the way to the breaker box? Is it code to have a wire running from inside a cabinet?

It is advisable not to have any part of a fixed installation going through or attached to something that one day can be removed ie your cabinets. If you want to take them down are you going to want to take all the wiring out of them? Saying that there is nothing stopping you from doing as you said if you wanted to.

You do though know that as it's a kitchen and your going back with a circuit to your breaker box, I assume you mean CU, then it comes under the scope of part P

Reply to kitchen lighting circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock