• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Kitchen rewire and new main board in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

does sound ott. esp for the main board. we have a member lives scottish borders.might get back soon.and as fot the lead sheathed cable.if the core insulation has not degraded. it might be good for a few more years. you need an honest sparks to assess what's needed.

Thanks for the opinion :) Just the time of year too I guess, struggling to get anybody to come out and give us an assessment and quote. Note to self: Don't buy a house and move a few weeks before Christmas. We put the offer in back in June, so it's taken a while!

To start things off, I would charge around £400ish for a bog standard dual RCD CU change, including short distance meter tail change, but not including replacment of any required gas & water bonding.

Rewires were not my bag.

Thanks, that's helpful :) Our quote is double that although I don't know what exactly is included and am a bit in the dark!

Is it totally naive of me to think that if the sockets and lights are all working fine - and the previous owners were using them without issue- then we could put off work until after Christmas? Feel free to say if I'm being naive here. Would I be as well to get a condition report/safety check done to see if that's an option?
You are being naive, I'm afraid. If you have lead-covered cables, they will be rubber insulated and that is decades past its use by date. Just sneeze near that stuff and it will pop.There's no point having a condition report. From what you have said already, it will be unsatisfactory on many levels. It may be operational, but for how long.

I'm not too sure why the cooker can't be installed as things stand as the last homeowner had a cooker- the switch and socket was removed as they were doing damp proofing to the kitchen wall. I guess maybe because the house's electrics are so outdated?

New electrical work has to be done to today's standards, and your fusebox etc don't comply. Sorry.

PS, do not do any decorating work, or put down new floor coverings etc until ALL electrical (and other work like plumbing) has been 100% completed.

What did your pre-purchase house survey say about the condition of the electrics? Assuming you had one.
Re Rewire: have you thought of getting a caravan in the garden while the electricians do their stuff? Save a hell of a lot of time/man hours (i.e. cash!) if they've got an empty house to work on.

I travel to most north Berwick areas every day mostly Coldstream ,Eyemouth and surrounding areas if you are still not sorted for Christmas cooking I could fit a small consumer unit just for kitchen to get you by but by the way you described the wiring you do really need all work done at same time because your house would most likely have to be ripped apart every time a new area is done you could maybe consider running all new circuits to all areas and then complete one room at a time
Sounds a bit counter productive but if money is tight at least it’s an option

Frankly I would try to think of a way to do the whole shebang in one go. It will be cheaper. I know our local authority do offer loans to make homes safe as part of a national initiative to make homes safe and sound and warm. Perhaps just perhaps you should consider such??? I can very much resonate with the idea of paying up front and there are sound financial reasons for that. However there are other ramifications you should consider. For instance with wiring as descibed it is possible something may befall the property and your insurance would not cover you. I am sorry if that sounds alarmist but I have no interest or profit to make from your situation and such is offered on a purely best advice basis.

Basically I want to find somebody competent who isn't going to charge us the earth and can come out before Christmas to do the essentials for us - the rest after New Year
sorry kitty cat have you got a budget ,It would cost more to do separate jobs then a full rewire .
back and forth .a lot of customer say can you come back when I found a couple of quid in the long pockets .

I travel to most north Berwick areas every day mostly Coldstream ,Eyemouth and surrounding areas if you are still not sorted for Christmas cooking I could fit a small consumer unit just for kitchen to get you by but by the way you described the wiring you do really need all work done at same time because your house would most likely have to be ripped apart every time a new area is done you could maybe consider running all new circuits to all areas and then complete one room at a time
Sounds a bit counter productive but if money is tight at least it’s an option
what ,no money atoll. their is a lot of violins on the post .

Well going out on the raggedly edge here, but as the thing has been minding its own business for the last 60 years, and you have no plans to mess around with it for the next few months, and aren't going to install the next latest induction hob for Xmas or hankering after a zillion watt electrical shower, it might be good for the next few months?

Hi Kitty, where in the Borders are you? I'm flat out just now so probably won't be much help to you but I do know some other electricians who might be able to help, depending on where you are.
@littlespark might be interested, I think he is in Chirnside.

I am based in Teesside but will be up in Northumberland Alnwick area in a couple of weeks. Happy to call up and look over your job and price it. Hopefully get your cooker wired in ready for Christmas.
I am a Niceic approved contractor and member of which trusted traders

Hi Kitty, where in the Borders are you? I'm flat out just now so probably won't be much help to you but I do know some other electricians who might be able to help, depending on where you are.
@littlespark might be interested, I think he is in Chirnside.

Hi :)

We're in Duns, if you know anybody available who could help that would be great:)

I am based in Teesside but will be up in Northumberland Alnwick area in a couple of weeks. Happy to call up and look over your job and price it. Hopefully get your cooker wired in ready for Christmas.
I am a Niceic approved contractor and member of which trusted traders

That would be great if you're around? We're in Duns so not a million miles away. Do you want to drop me a message to discuss?

Hi Kitty
I was going to send you a message but can't because of your privacy settings. I don't want to post my, or anybody else's contact details on the open forum!

Did someone mention my name?

Kitty, I’d be glad to come have a look. I’m busy for the next week or two, but can get the cooker and board done before Xmas.

Can you private message me your details, I can arrange to come look today or over the weekend if it suits.

That would be great if you're around? We're in Duns so not a million miles away. Do you want to drop me a message to discuss?
Says I cannot nessage
The forum will not let me message you. You should be ok to message me and I can then reply

Is it totally naive of me to think that if the sockets and lights are all working fine - and the previous owners were using them without issue- then we could put off work until after Christmas? Feel free to say if I'm being naive here. Would I be as well to get a condition report/safety check done to see if that's an option?

I'm not too sure why the cooker can't be installed as things stand as the last homeowner had a cooker- the switch and socket was removed as they were doing damp proofing to the kitchen wall. I guess maybe because the house's electrics are so outdated? :( At this rate we'll be having an outdoor Bbq in the Scottish snow for Christmas dinner
Any decent spark wouldn’t install a circuit into an old board like you say you have as it wouldn’t comply with the current regs... £850 for a kitchen rewire does indeed seem steep but again without actually seeing it we are in no place to comment. There may well be particular challenges that may increase the cost and without laying eyes on it it’s a shot in the dark I’d suggest if it’s a bog standard run of the mill kitchen with no challenges or extra requests you’d be looking somewhere around the £1000 mark for both the kitchen and the board. But as i say this is a complete shot in the dark without laying eyes on it.
Also it may not be as simple as swapping out the board there could be defects everywhere it may be better to get your sparky to install a separate small CU beside your existing one just until you can arrange a full rewire....

Reply to Kitchen rewire and new main board in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock