Discuss Kitchen rewire (refurbishment) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Fitzy

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Newbie here.

I’m newly qualified and my nieces partner who does building work, extensions, kitchen refurbs etc is going to put some work my way, so I can start gaining some experience, but I can’t find an answer to whether a room rewire i.e. kitchen refurb using the original CU & MCB’s isnotifiable or not! In my eyes it’s NOT notifiable as I’m not technically adding a new circuit, just upgrading (modifying) the cabling.....

correct. it' would only be notifiable if you were changing the CU or adding a new circuit. (bathrooms excepted, as all work there is notifiable ). still need to complete a EIC (MWC usually in your case).

You should download approved document P to become familiar with the requirements if you are starting doing domestic work.
Here are the works that are notifiable in England though

Kitchen rewire (refurbishment) Screenshot 2018-03-24 19.00.20 - EletriciansForums.net

Part P Building Regs (England) states notifiable work is;
  • installation of a new circuit
  • replacement of consumer unit
  • addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location
So you might think you're in the clear. However, when completing a compliance certification, it mentions a rewire or partial rewire, as does the competent persons web site; The Regulations Explained - http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/Regulations-Explained

So if in your kitchen, circuits are rewired, they are suggesting perhaps that is a new circuit. Tin hat on!

Last edited:
It would be common on a kitchen refurb to run a new circuit in for appliances. A new circuit installed using an existing CU and even existing existing switchgear devices would be a new circuit and notifiable.
Might be a sticky point if you get onto a refurb that requires a new circuit.

Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated, I’ve alresdy got my C&G Part “P” qualification, just need to get registered with one of the schemes. Would the electrical building control fee be payable separately or already included in the fees my nieces partner has already paid in the refurb plans?

Would the electrical building control fee be payable separately or already included in the fees my nieces partner has already paid in the refurb plans?

Would that be Building Regs or Planning approval for the refurbishment? If so the LBC would be looking for either a Compliance Certificate or prior application for the electrical work, if we agree the work is notifiable. (Or even third party certification!)

if planning control are involved ( e.g. the kitchen is an extension ) then you should only need to give them a copy of the cert. you don't need to be in a scam. they'd probably need a copy of you quals. 17th etc.

There is no Part P qualification, just a course on how to read a publication :)

True, but you could say the same about C+G 2382 couldn't you?

Come on Andy, I've waited patiently :)
The 2393 is the building regs reading course, but there is a 2397 which basically an all one domestic installer course designed to meet the requirements of part P scheme membership. It's referred to as a part P qual.
I think it's to save centres offering a hotch potch bundle of certs.

The 2393 is the building regs reading course, but there is a 2397 which basically an all one domestic installer course designed to meet the requirements of part P scheme membership. It's referred to as a part P qual.
I think it's to save centres offering a hotch potch bundle of certs.

But that still won't give stop you being in a scheme, if that's your main income?

if planning control are involved ( e.g. the kitchen is an extension ) then you should only need to give them a copy of the cert. you don't need to be in a scam. they'd probably need a copy of you quals. 17th etc.

I've never tested that with my LBC, although I've heard others here suggesting that's what they do, being on a one to one with a building inspector.

Just doesn't fit with the examples given in sec 3.1 Part P.

Hold your horses there, I have recently heard otherwise. (or at least that is what it is being called)

What certs do you have @Fitzy ?

I’ve just completed City & Guilds 2393 Part P, 2392-10 Inspecting & Testing and 2382-15 17th Edition Wiring Regs, I’m now on the looooong learning curve of gaining experience, hence why I’m only going to be doing small jobs to start with, not gonna run before I can walk. Obviously I’m gonna need some big jobs for my assessment to join one of the schemes. I suppose at first I’m gonna have to take the hit on the BC fees as you can’t pass these on to the customers, that’s why I thought my nieces partner would come inhandy if he’s already paid the BC fees on the whole job.

Hold your horses there, I have recently heard otherwise. (or at least that is what it is being called)

What certs do you have @Fitzy ?

I’ve just completed City & Guilds 2393 Part P, 2392-10 Inspecting & Testing and 2382-15 17th Edition Wiring Regs, I’m now on the looooong learning curve of gaining experience, hence why I’m only going to be doing small jobs to start with, not gonna run before I can walk. Obviously I’m gonna need some big jobs for my assessment to join one of the schemes. I suppose at first I’m gonna have to take the hit on the BC fees as you can’t pass these on to the customers, that’s why I thought my nieces partner would come inhandy if he’s already paid the BC fees on the whole job.

Reply to Kitchen rewire (refurbishment) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock