Discuss Kitchen rewire (refurbishment) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I’ve just completed City & Guilds 2393 Part P, 2392-10 Inspecting & Testing and 2382-15 17th Edition Wiring Regs, I’m now on the looooong learning curve of gaining experience, hence why I’m only going to be doing small jobs to start with, not gonna run before I can walk. Obviously I’m gonna need some big jobs for my assessment to join one of the schemes. I suppose at first I’m gonna have to take the hit on the BC fees as you can’t pass these on to the customers, that’s why I thought my nieces partner would come inhandy if he’s already paid the BC fees on the whole job.

Schemes don't require 'big jobs' for a domestic installer. I would echo the advice of working with others to start. I came back into the industry after a 30 year break. I subbied to another contractor for a year or so, before I felt comfortable to work on my own.

I suppose at first I’m gonna have to take the hit on the BC fees as you can’t pass these on to the customers, that’s why I thought my nieces partner would come inhandy if he’s already paid the BC fees on the whole job.

You might wanna check out the price of those fees, they are not cheap.

You might wanna check out the price of those fees, they are not cheap.

I checked the BC fees where I live in the Reigate & Banstead area and electrical work is £306 plus VAT.....OUCH!!! That’s more than what I’ve seen other sparkies charging for a complete CU change.....

By the way, thanks for the replies and warm welcome. :) :) :)

You could see if you could assist your > nieces > partners > electrician (if you see what I'm saying), when doing his/hers refurbishments & building work, in the short term.

Then when you have become more competent or comfortable, you can do the electricians legs in, and do all the work yourself. :)

first thing would be to check with BC to see if they will accept your quals. and cert. without the need for them to charge their exorbitant fee. if they will, then you're home free. ( as regards your niece's job).

first thing would be to check with BC to see if they will accept your quals. and cert. without the need for them to charge their exorbitant fee. if they will, then you're home free. ( as regards your niece's job).

Fitzy, someone posted this before;
Electrician Competence Recognition - The IET - https://www.------.org/policy/collaboration/sa4e/index.cfm?
Duno if it would help?

Well when you consider, I hadn't done any testing in 30 years, and my last testing device was a bell & battery, it was pretty new to me :)

The course I was on, quite a few years ago, two guys failed it. They worked in the business but just didn't like tests.. Pity really.

The course I was on, quite a few years ago, two guys failed it. They worked in the business but just didn't like tests.. Pity really.
all is not lost. i failed my "swim a length of the baths" certificate, but i didn't drown.

Oooooh the 2382, thought you said the 2392. I find all these numbers confusing.

Only one digit out mate.
At least you aren't as bad as me, who totally misread a post title recently.. :tearsofjoy:

When I did my 2382 I mean 2392, they put me with Arthur. Bloody nice bloke, bit older than me, well lot older actually about Tel's age. You had to share the test board, and he was a friggin disaster. Kept putting me off. Final day when we had our individual tests, I could see he was struggling. He had to stay behind after class. Bet he past in the end though ;)

Reply to Kitchen rewire (refurbishment) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net