Discuss Kitchen Ring In Galv Conduit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Looking to do kitchen ring sockets in 20mm galv conduit buried within machined chases in the walls. Eventual plan is the whole house (long term vermin issues). Might seem overkill but going the whole hog - only way I'll be able to relax! Ring then goes up into the loft and across between floors to the CU, its between floors where the critters keep getting in.

Anyway going horizontal with the cabling between sockets above the worktops as there are quite a few. My question is this: At the internal corners if I use a pre formed 20mm bend or if I vice form one then I'm concerned that it will protrude into the room. Would I be better to use an inspection elbow as it has a tighter radius? Appreciate that I WON'T obviously be able to get into the inspection elbow because the removable cover will be pointing up and no chance anyway once its plastered over. Using singles by the way.

Thanks

Make things a lot easier for yourself. Do the sockets and cable in the walls in the conventional way, sink the backboxes in and run your cables across between them. Use plastic capping to protect cables from plasterer, job done.

i cant see the mice getting through your plaster and capping to get at your cables.

The rest of what you propose seems OK but just pay extra special attention to the bonding of your conduit, make sure it is continuous and earthed.

Cheers..........Howard

Embedding conduit in walls, will entail going deeper with your chasing at internal corners. DON'T use inspection elbows (actually banned on most of the larger projects)they are crap and will take the insulation off your singles. preformed bends are better as if you make a too tighter bend your going to have some serious problems pulling your cables around them.

The use of elbows of any type, or self formed bend that is too tight on radius and you may not even get a tape around the bends let alone solid single cables....

Hi Clicon
I worked in Buckingham Palace on the lichen refurb and new portrait gallery. We installed 20mm galv conduit in some of the former servants rooms, which were changed into offices. The conduit ended up with boxes above suspend ceilings which looped in and out of 100x100x50 metal boxes.
We had a diamond driller, cutting chases and coring all holes above 25mm for us. The plant used was new hilti grinder and vacuum cleaner kit.

What will you do when the joists are running the wrong way?

If you want to go belt and braces, and to make your house vermin proof. What about Pyro?

Richard

If you want to go belt and braces, and to make your house vermin proof. What about Pyro?

Richard[/QUOTE]
From experience Pyro is definitely not vermin proof.

In my opinion (from someone who works for a rodenticide manufacturing company), if you want to make life A LOT easier for yourself and avoid re-wiring anything...go to your local farm and country store, or if your city based, a garden centre of B&Q and buy some rat bait, and bait your gaff as directed and just kill the gits. A dead rat, is a rat no longer requiring your concern.

Embedding conduit in walls, will entail going deeper with your chasing at internal corners. DON'T use inspection elbows (actually banned on most of the larger projects)they are crap and will take the insulation off your singles. preformed bends are better as if you make a too tighter bend your going to have some serious problems pulling your cables around them.

The use of elbows of any type, or self formed bend that is too tight on radius and you may not even get a tape around the bends let alone solid single cables....

is it possible to get a too tight bend using a proper hilmor conduit former? You would think that their formers were designed to give appropriately formed bends in terms of radii?

If the job is this involved, why not think about studding the wall off by 25mm with battens, the there will be plenty of room?

Thanks for all the advice. Yep, I keep using poison (Neosorexa Gold) but the beggars keep coming back. One lot die in the ceiling void, clear for a while (except for the smell), then their mates turn up and claim the empty space! Neighbours have stables hence horse feed, plus chickens, ducks etc. Old dear the other side BUYS cheap food to leave out for the foxes so encouraging vermin all round and I'm in the middle! Really the house roof edges, eaves etc need doing but that's a future job! The ceiling void is stuffed with old style insulation - will eventually change to Celotex. Also think there are gaps in the footing bricks so LOTS of points of access. Overhead TT incoming system for them to run along together with phone wires the same and again catenary wires to outbuildings. Talk about the money pit!

But before all that roofing etc I need to get the wiring safe! Figure if I put everything I can in 20mm steel conduit in the void I'll sleep easier!

To speed things up I'm thinking to go 20mm PVC in the kitchen walls horizontally between boxes (will save a lot of threading etc as there’s quite a few) then vertically up into the void in 20mm steel off the back boxes. Up in the void across and down to the CU in 20mm steel. CU is currently metal and I want to move it later and change to insulated and all RCBO’s. Issues? Cheers.

Reply to Kitchen Ring In Galv Conduit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net