Discuss Kitchen setup in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Z

zerozeroseven

Hi guys,

I have the following setup curently:

32A fuse in Consumer Unit, and a 2.5mm ring to the kitcen - only 2 x 2 sockets in the kitchen.
32A fuse in Consumer Unit, and a 6mm cable to an isolator and an existing oven

I want to connect the following appliances _instead_

14kw induction hob
3.5kw oven 1
3.5kw oven 2
fridge (about 5A)
extraction hood (about 5A)

Obviously I need a new 10mm feed for the induction hob from the CU on its own fuse and its own isolator, but whats the best way to connect the other appliances? I want an isolator for each one, since I have the space on the wall ready from them.

I'm thinking I could connect the hood and fridge to the existing ring, use the exisiting 6mm cable for one oven, and run another one to a new fuse in the CU for the second oven.

Or, I could run a second 6mm cable back to the CU to form a ring, and run both ovens off it. This way I save a slot in the CU, but i hear ovens have alot of earth leakage and so this should probbaly be put on the non RCD side to prevent false trips. Is it worth it just to save a slot on the CU?

Its not ideal to split the current kitchen ring, so another option is to run the fridge and oven 1 off one of the 6mm cables, and the other oven and the hood off the other.

What do you guys think? Ideally I dont want to tap into the existing kitchen ring, and would favour a more straightforward layout and sacrifice the fuse slot on the CU if I have to.

Any help appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Using a ring final circuit is not an option for appliances over 2KW.
Appendix 15 p362 & reg 433.1.5

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ok so in that case I need a 6mm cable for each oven... can I run the fridge off the same cable as the oven, or is that not advisable?

Yes can't see a problem with that 6mm to cooker control unit then on to socket for fridge.

Great..

So just to be clear....

CU, 45 amp fuse, 10mm cable to 14kw induction hob
CU, 32 amp fuse, 6mm to 3.5kw oven1 CCU, and fridge (5A)
CU, 32 amp fuse, 6mm to 3.5kw oven2 CCU, and extraction hood (5A)

Does that sound ok? The hood and fridge wont be on sockets, but a fused isolator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds fine as long as the new circuits have RCD protection if required by the installation method.

Will the 14Kw not overload the 45A mcb if all rings on the induction hob are on full? I make it 61A

page 160 osg, would have to take into account for diversity, anything up to 15kw..... but i know what u are saying!

would make it 26 Amps all in all with no socket outlet on control switch...........bugger to terminate with 10mm though eh! :)

A 32 amp CB for a 3.5kw oven seems a bit high to me, I would install a 16 or 20 amp and a 20 amp rad for the extractor and fridge. If you are installing cables in walls etc they will need to be RCD protected.

ian

Reply to Kitchen setup in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock