Discuss Kitchen sink earth bonding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Apols for the long post.

I do small maintenance plumbing, inc quite a lot of taps. I have zero knowledge/experience with electrics so please excuse any misuse of the lingo.

It's my understanding that flexible hoses (the type supplied with many taps) do not comply with earthing and so if there is a pre-existing tap piped up in rigid copper and you would like to replace it and install flexible hoses instead you should not do this if the rigid copper pipework and sink have earthing cables on them as this would break the continuity...?

However I've also been told that bonding kitchen sinks/taps is no longer done/considered necessary. And so presumably in many case the earthing cables that remain there are not necessary any more and have just not been removed.

What I want to know is - as someone with no electrcial knowledge - is there some visual inspection I can do of the consumer unit or whathaveyou to know that I can safely install flexible hoses? And conversely a visual inspection I can do to confirm that it would be unsafe to?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Bonding kitchen sinks went out with the ark (thankfully). Just fit the flexible pipework, no problem. Looking at the consumer unit or other electrics won't help you.

They are getting few and far between but metal wastes were once very common,there is occasion when these require bonding,keep it in mind

I was once faced with a sink being installed by the kitchen fitter on a site which actually stated on the packaging....' THIS SINK MUST BE EARTHED'.
Try getting Kev to understand that there's no requirement to 'earth' a sink when some knob in China has printed that on the box. Mind you....what does it say in the BYB about manufacturers instructions?

And do not box it in either as i saw one family doing when putting a new kitchen in as quote "we have never used it so thought it wouldn't matter!!"

That made me remember a kitchen i viewed at a pals,where the fitters had the ends of two units,lined up with the stop tap.

Instead of cutting a section out of both,they turned the brass handle, plumb,and had it between the two ends,20mm apart....you could see it with a torch,held captive,by it's chipboard minders...

Despite me pals attempts to impress us,with the under-mounted sink,and his over priced Corian...it is that tap,that stuck in my mind:(

Unfortunately that is quite common on sinks, despite the fact that they never had to be earthed. Incidentally, ET101 still requires sinks to be supplementary bonded.
Glad you popped up. What is the latest version of ET101, 2008 I believe? Is it similar to 7671 where there are other Guidance Notes and would a new copy incorporate any amendments or are they separate.

ET...... phone home.
101. galactic police.
109 galactic ambulance
10...... ad infinitum.

Reply to Kitchen sink earth bonding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net