Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Kitchen sink earth bonding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. ComeOnSFF

ComeOnSFF New EF Member

Hi,

Apols for the long post.

I do small maintenance plumbing, inc quite a lot of taps. I have zero knowledge/experience with electrics so please excuse any misuse of the lingo.

It's my understanding that flexible hoses (the type supplied with many taps) do not comply with earthing and so if there is a pre-existing tap piped up in rigid copper and you would like to replace it and install flexible hoses instead you should not do this if the rigid copper pipework and sink have earthing cables on them as this would break the continuity...?

However I've also been told that bonding kitchen sinks/taps is no longer done/considered necessary. And so presumably in many case the earthing cables that remain there are not necessary any more and have just not been removed.

What I want to know is - as someone with no electrcial knowledge - is there some visual inspection I can do of the consumer unit or whathaveyou to know that I can safely install flexible hoses? And conversely a visual inspection I can do to confirm that it would be unsafe to?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

2. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

Bonding kitchen sinks went out with the ark (thankfully). Just fit the flexible pipework, no problem. Looking at the consumer unit or other electrics won't help you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    There is often the stopcock under the sink with a green/yellow cable attached. That one must be preserved :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

They are getting few and far between but metal wastes were once very common,there is occasion when these require bonding,keep it in mind

5. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Glad they did, 'cos getting to that poxy lug was a friggin nightmare.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

Luckily I just about missed having to do any, went out with the 15th didn't it?

7. Midwest

Can't remember, I went on a sabbatical during the 15th, but at some point it did, along with bonding radiators & metal garage doors o_O

8. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

I was at school during the 15th!

9. Midwest

Yeah tell me about. Your day will come. In the meantime have lots of holidays, lots of cars and anything else you can't possibly afford :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. wirepuller

wirepuller Trusted Advisor

I was once faced with a sink being installed by the kitchen fitter on a site which actually stated on the packaging....' THIS SINK MUST BE EARTHED'.
    Try getting Kev to understand that there's no requirement to 'earth' a sink when some knob in China has printed that on the box. Mind you....what does it say in the BYB about manufacturers instructions?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Regular EF Member

And do not box it in either as i saw one family doing when putting a new kitchen in as quote "we have never used it so thought it wouldn't matter!!"

• Like Like x 1
  12. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

That made me remember a kitchen i viewed at a pals,where the fitters had the ends of two units,lined up with the stop tap.

Instead of cutting a section out of both,they turned the brass handle, plumb,and had it between the two ends,20mm apart....you could see it with a torch,held captive,by it's chipboard minders...

Despite me pals attempts to impress us,with the under-mounted sink,and his over priced Corian...it is that tap,that stuck in my mind:(

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    I was once employed to find a main stop valve. Turned out to be right in the corner.

145-002.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  14. ComeOnSFF

ComeOnSFF New EF Member

Thanks all.

15. Risteard

Risteard Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    Unfortunately that is quite common on sinks, despite the fact that they never had to be earthed. Incidentally, ET101 still requires sinks to be supplementary bonded.

16. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Glad you popped up. What is the latest version of ET101, 2008 I believe? Is it similar to 7671 where there are other Guidance Notes and would a new copy incorporate any amendments or are they separate.

17. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    i once tried to bond with my kitchen sink. it did not work . kitchen sinks can only bond with females. tin hat fixed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Sorry what is ET 101 ?.

19. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    ET...... phone home.
    101. galactic police.
    109 galactic ambulance
    10...... ad infinitum.

20. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

It's the Irish wiring rules, like BS7671 but I think statutory.

21. Risteard

Risteard Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    The latest Edition is the Fourth Edition, which is ET101:2008. The current Amendment is Amendment 2 (2016). These are printed on the ETCI's (Electro-Technical Council of Ireland) website and can be downloaded free to insert into the Rule book. However the ETCI has now ceased trading and the ETCI's TC2 which is responsible for the Wiring Rules is now operating under the NSAI (National Standards Authority of Ireland) banner.

There are no guidance notes as such published.

• Informative Informative x 2
  22. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Nice one Risteard.

23. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Made a note "free to download and insert into rule book"